Chapter 6 - The Volturi

It was about three in the morning, and Edward and I were still lying on my bed, talking. We got to know each other a lot more, and we pretty much knew everything about each other.

   "So," Edward began, "Do any humans know about you?" He asked me, I wondered why that would matter.

   "Just Charlie and my Mom. Nobody else, I can't trust anyone but them." I replied. He looked worried.

   "What is it?" I asked him, looking at the worried expression on his face. I was starting to worry too.

   Edward sighed, "Bella, humans aren't allowed to know about our kind. If the Volturi found out, it could be a death sentence to you." He murmured, still very worried.

   I froze. "Who are the Volturi, and how would they be able to kill me?" I asked him my voice full of shock and worry. I thought I was indestructible? I guess not.

   "The Volturi are basically the royalty of vampires." Edward began in a whisper, "They lead us, and we must follow their rules. There are only a few main rules though. The rules are not to be noticed by humans, and humans can't find out about us, unless you plan on changing them."

   "But how could they kill me? I thought I was indestructible."  I asked him, as he put his arm around me protectively.

   "Well, there is only one way to be sure of killing a vampire. Only vampires can kill us, humans can't, and any animal can't either. The Volturi can kill you by ripping your head off, and then lighting you on fire. It is the only way to kill a vampire." He answered me as he tightened his grip on me, he didn't want me to be in danger. He was worried about me, he was worried that the Volturi will find out. I'm worried too. I hugged him and buried my face in his chest, I could cry right now. But I can't, not anymore. He knew it too, he knew I just wanted to cry.

   "I won't let anything happen to you, Bella." He promised me. He kissed me. I looked up at him and half smiled.

   "I know, but can you really stop the Volturi, Edward? You could be killed for trying to save me." I told him as I hid my face in his chest again.

   He sighed and hugged me. "Bella, love. I will fight them as hard as I can, and as long as I can to save you. I will get my whole family to help if that is what it takes. I can't lose you." He promised me. I knew he would do everything he could, but how could he stand up to them? They are royalty to us, he can't face them alone. Now not only am I worried about my life, but now Edward's too.

   We were talking for the next couple hours, mostly about the Volturi. He informed me on almost ever detail I had asked about them, from what I've learned they aren't the type willing to negotiate, or understand my point of view at all. Could I really have my life ended because I was unaware how big of a secret this is? I mean of course I knew I couldn't tell anyone but the people closest to me, but they won't tell. They barely understand what I am going through, they don't want to know.

   "Do you think they will find out?" I whispered to Edward as he cradled me in his arms, in an attempt to make me feel safe.

   He sighed, "Possibly." He admitted as he held me tighter. I pressed my lips against his neck.

   "What would happen to Charlie and Renée?" I asked him in a low voice. I'm not prepared for what his answer may be.

   He looked at me with caring, yet somber eyes. "Bella..." He began in a murmur. I buried my head in his chest, and he held me tight. He listened to me sob, tearless sobbing, for a long time before I let him tell me.

   "Love, you know I will try my best to keep you safe, including your mother and father." He said to me looking in my eyes, "But Bella... The Volturi won't show sympathy for you or them, they just want to clean the mess up. They want our kind to remain unknown, and simply a myth to humans. You know I'll try, but when they find out this will be more than just a little problem."

  I buried my head in his chest again, and I probably stayed like that for hours.

   It was about nine in the morning when I pulled myself together. It is a Saturday, so we didn't have to go to school today. Edward and I could finally have a day all to ourselves. Charlie is out on a weekend fishing trip with Harry Clearwater, so I didn't have to sneak around with Edward either. Well I guess I really don't need to anymore since Charlie likes him and knows him, but now we can walk around the house together, and he can stay over without hiding.

   "Edward, wouldn't Alice be able to see if they will come?" I asked him as he suddenly appeared behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

   He sighed, "Bella, please don't worry so much. We will handle this. And yes, Alice will be watching the Volturi's decisions. However so far they have no idea what you've done. But once they find out we may have to leave."

   I was shocked. In disbelief. No. No. No. "We can't leave." I stated firmly. He looked at me, "Bella once they do we have to, it will come down to a huge fight if we don't."

   So that is what it comes down to now? A fight? Why can't we just live in peace with humans. Why the hell should they be ruling how we live our lives. I sure as hell am not going to run away from the problem. If I was still human, and fragile, I'd probably listen to Edward, his idea is safer. But I don't want the safe, temporary solution to the problem. I was the dangerous, permanent solution to the problem. I want to end the Volturi.

    Edward looked at me in shock, as if he just read my mind. But he can't, I'm a shield. Right?

    "How did you?" I asked in shock.

    "Your thoughts were so angry that your shield slipped away for a brief moment." He explained in a whisper. Wow. I guess I was a little too angry.

    "Bella, love. We can't do what you want to do." He began softly, "It is too dangerous, it could mean death for Charlie, Renée, and even us. You don't want that, do you? Now just think about it."

   "We can't just let the Volturi to control us forever!" I growled, "They need a punishment of their own." Okay, I'll admit. I am overreacting a bit too much now.

    He put his arms on my shoulders, "Please, calm down, love." He murmured, "I know you are under a lot of stress, just relax. We'll be safe and so will Charlie and Renée." He assured me as he laid down with me on our couch. I know he's right. I am just shaken from all this happening so fast. I didn't even know about the Volturi a day ago, and now? Now they are going to hunt my family and myself down.

   My cell phone rang and picked it up. Alice.

   "Hello?" I answered worriedly.

   "Bella," She breathed, "The Volturi are coming."

     I dropped the phone.

    Edward looked at me, he knew. He could hear too. I stood there, emotionless, and like a rock. Edward wrapped his arms around me to soothe me, it didn't work like it usually did.

     "Edward. What are we going to do?" I asked him standing there, feeling useless. He sighed and pressed his lips against mine.

     "I don't know, love." He answered simply.

     And by that answer, I knew this was bad. Really, bad.