I Hate Being a Slytherin

"November the thirtieth will be the twelfth annual Winter Ball. If you would like to stay at Hogwarts for the Christmas holiday, sign-ups end on the same date. I hope you enjoy the rest of the semester, and good-night!" Professor McGonagall sat down and the students exited the Great Hall after a delicious meal.

"Are you guys excited for the Winter Ball?" I asked Chloe and Daniel sarcastically back in the Ravenclaw common room. I was finishing up my Potions essay, Chloe was reading and Daniel was pacing back and forth, bored out of his head.

"Somewhat," replied Chloe, not taking her eyes off of her book.

"I suppose," replied Daniel, smiling.

"Who are you going to ask?" I asked Daniel in a mocking tone.

"Oh, I haven't decided," he said, still grinning.

I finished my essay, put it in my bag and stood up abruptly.

"Well, I'm going to the Room of Requirement," I said casually.

"I am coming too!" said Daniel, glad that I had suggested something other than pacing around the common room like a bored cat.

"You guys go ahead," said Chloe, who was clearly very interested in her book.

Daniel and I left, not bothering to bring the invisibility cloak; it was not very late so no one would be suspicious of us.

We walked somewhat quickly down the corridors and took a detour to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, just to make sure Malfoy was not in there.

He wasn't, so we proceeded to the Room of Requirement.

"Wait, Lily," said Daniel. He stopped walking and gestured for me to come closer.

"What is it?" I asked nervously and hesitantly.

"I..I want to ask Chloe to the Winter Ball," he said, staring at the ground.

I covered up my laughing with a silly grin.

"And..?" I asked.

"Well, I don't want to look like an idiot! Do you think she will say yes?"

"Probably. She is not really the girlfriend type.."

"Oh! No!" said Daniel quickly, "I don't want to be her boyfriend.. I just..you know..want to go with her; that's all!"

"Then go for it," I told him, and we continued onward.

We reached the blank wall, and it was then that I realized I had no idea what to do.

"You did not even ask her how to get in?" Daniel questioned me.

"No, it didn't cross my mind!" I replied, thinking hard.

"Well, it doesn't matter, anyway," said Daniel, looking alarmed.

"What do you-"

Daniel whispered for me to be quiet and I followed him around a corner.

Malfoy and Jade were there, steps away from where Daniel and I had been moments before.

They sat down against the wall and began to talk.

"Gray found out that Dad lost the cloak, Jade," he told her. She looked frightened.

"What happened when he found out?" she asked, with a concerned tone.

"I don't know," he said looking solemn, "Dad wouldn't tell me... I know Potter took it though. I don't know how, but I know she did. I think Dad knows too."

He turned to Jade, "You can't tell anyone about this. If Scorpius or Gray finds out that Potter has the cloak, they are going to kill her, and Dad."

"I promise I won't," she said.

"I just want this school year to end. Scorpius will have graduated, hopefully Gray will be gone, and it'll be Hogwarts again."

He sighed and closed his eyes.

"Would you think I was crazy if I said I hate being a Slytherin?" he asked Jade, without opening his eyes.

"Yeah," she said quietly, "But it's okay, because I hate being a Slytherin, too."

If my eyes had gotten any bigger, they would have popped out of my head and landed on the floor in front of Jade and Malfoy.

"But I have to do this for Dad," he said. "I can not let my father down."

"You don't have to, Sal," said Jade.

"Yes, I do!" he said, raising his voice. "You don't get it, Jade! I don't even care about Gray or Scorpius or any of them! I just want my Dad to be happy, and not have to worry about being killed by Gray, or that Scorpius will leave our family. I am going to do this, Jade. And I am going to do this soon. No..matter..what..it..takes."

He stood up and strutted away, Jade following close behind.

Daniel and I followed behind them a good distance, and saw the he was headed towards Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.

Author's note: About 5 chapters left :-)