Chapter One

Chapter One

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. I groaned inwardly and slapped myself mentally for being in the habit of it being on but in reality it was the first day of summer and I was now up at 5:30. Ugh.

I wasn't going to be able to go back to sleep so I decided to get up to eat breakfast. I pulled my long, dark brown, wavy hair into a messy bun on top of my head and went downstairs.

I rummaged through my cabinets. "What to eat, what to eat?" I asked myself until I finally decided on some Lucky Charms. They were my favorite! I went into my living room, deciding on watching the new Harry Potter movie on pay per view. What most people didn't know about me was that I was a sci-fi nerd at heart. Two and a half hours later I decided to see if my parents were awake. As I slowly walked to their room and opened their door I saw they weren't home. As usual.

My parents owned a multi-billion dollar company and were rarely home. Not that I minded because whenever they were home we'd all go out do something fun as a family. They loved me and I loved them.

I heard my phone beep and looked at the message and smiled. Jake texted me saying he was coming over in an hour. Jake was my boyfriend of a year and I loved him more than Lucky Charms. And that was saying something.

I ran quickly upstairs to take a shower. When I got out I went into my closet and decided on some short white shorts with a black tube top under a white, lace cardigan. I slipped on my black Toms and went into my bathroom to dry my hair. I left it as it was since Jake liked it that way and went light on the makeup. I only put on some mascara and eyeliner to make my green-hazel eyes pop. I heard the doorbell ring and I ran downstairs and answered the door.

Jake was standing on my doorstep but not with his usual, loving, expression on his face. This time he had a blank, almost nervous, emotion written in his beautiful dark brown eyes.

"Hi, baby!" I exclaimed. Did I mention I loved him so much? Because I do.

He flinched. "Uh...hey, Tessa. We need to talk."

My heart dropped at those words. "No. No you aren't breaking up with me are you? You can't! We've been together since the beginning of last summer. I love you, don't do this." I started rambling like I did when I was worried. Jake pressed his index finger to my lips to stop my words.

"Tessa, I loved you but I feel like we've been drifting apart lately. I don't feel the old spark when we touch like we did when we first started dating. I'm sorry. When I say this I do mean it, you're too good for me. You'll find a guy that will love you, and one that likes," he paused and took a deep breath in and exhaled slowly, "one that likes girls." I widened my eyes in shock.

"You mean you're...you're...you're.." I tried to say the words but I couldn't.

He nodded his head. "Yes. Yes I'm gay. I think I realized when I saw your brother a couple months ago and I thought his shirt fit him so well I could make out his chiseled chest and saw how nice it was."

My eyes got even bigger if that's possible. "YOU'RE DUMPING ME BECAUSE YOU LIKE MY BROTHER?!" The whole situation was comical but I'd have to laugh about it another time.

"I'm sorry, Tess." The nickname he gave me that I'd usual welcome with open arms made my eyes burn with tears. I will not cry in front of him. I won't. I'd save that for when I'm alone.

He hugged me tightly one last time. "I wouldn't have made you as happy as another guy will. Believe me." He kissed my head and walked away, out of my life for good. I closed my front door and ran up into my room, launching myself onto my bed to cry. I loved him so much.

"Trouble in paradise?" A barely familiar masculine voice said. I looked up from my pillow and saw nobody. "Out the window." The voice said again. Of course, it's Parker Rivers. My school's "bad boy" and my neighbor. I sighed and went to my window, our rooms were right across from each other. Parker was wearing a black V-neck shirt with dark blue jeans and a leather jacket to top it all off. Sadly he looked hot but the knowing smirk he had made me want to jump the ten feet to slap it off his face.

"Well, if you must know Parker," my voice dripping with sarcasm, "my boyfriend just broke up with me because he's gay. What a great way to start the summer, huh?" Parker and I were best friends when we were little because we lived by each other our whole lives. Then high school came and he changed along with me. This is the first time we've talked besides polite dinner conversation in three, almost four, years.

"Ouch." Was all he said.

"Oh, and it's cause he's got the hots for Trev." Trevor my brother was in his last year of college in Boston across the country. He visited for Easter and Jake had met him for the first time then.

Parker started laughing hysterically. "Well, I suppose Trevor is...handsome?" His statement more of a question. I chuckled at that.

"I guess so..." I said.

He cleared his throat, "Well, I gotta go, shorty." He winked and closed his window. I giggled at his old nickname for me because when we were younger most girls were taller than the boys but I was always shorter. I'm still one of the shorter people at school but I don't mind because I can wear cute heels whenever I want. I heard Parker's motorcycle engine run and heard it fade away.

I went to wash my face and thought about all the memories Parker and I had like making my brother's whole bed wet and spraying it with all my perfume in my possession. I laughed at that memory. I had to admit to myself I did miss Parker but I shouldn't put much thought into that.

Should I?