Ten Years Later

Ten Years Later

"Welcome to Barnes and Noble, is this gonna be all for you, dear?" the cashier said at check out. She was in her early sixties and a kind smile at my face and my protruding belly, holding my sixth month old baby girl.

"Yes that'll be all." I smiled back.

"Your total is $35.14. Receipt?"

"No, thanks."

"So how far along are you?" She asked.

"Just sixth months last Wednesday." I said, rubbing my stomach.

"Oh goodness. Just about to get into your third trimester then?" she asked, awed.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Is the father here?"

"Yes, I believe my husband is over there in the children's section." I pointed in the direction Parker went.

Yep, Parker and I got married two years ago, in the spring, and he got me pregnant, the baby's birthday due to be born on May 2nd.

"Oh, how lovely," the old woman stated, "how'd you meet?"

"Oh, well he was just that green eyed boy next door all my life. Very cliche." I laughed and she did as well.

"That's lovely dear. Nice talking to you."

"You, too." I said, before smiling and make my way over to where Parker stood, looking through a book with a princess on the cover, looking for books for our daughter.

He had bags under his eyes, staying late at the office to make sure she'll have the perfect nursery. He was now an architect with his own company, very successful, and he found his calling for it in college. I pursued the career of journalism, I now work as head editor for Us Weekly and we lived in New York.

Our lives couldn't be anymore perfect and with our child on the way added to it.

I was the girl next door and even though he broke my heart once, he never did again.

I love him with all my being and can't wait to enjoy the rest of our lives together.

***

The end