Chapter 2

Staring at the the empty glass that glistened under the dimmed light of the bar he almost felt it reflect on his own life without her, empty. The memory bright and vivid in his mind the kind that stinged and burned, one that no alcohol can erase.

Tapping impatiently with his foot while they waited he glanced at the blonde next to him, she seemed so calm and relaxed completely unfazed about his anxiety. "Why isn't Avery here yet... maybe something happened to her, I'm going to call." He said pulling his phone out of his pocket but Melissa took it out of his hand in a swift motion.

"Don't worry I'm sure she's fine..." She said calmly placing his phone on her side of the table out of his reach before twirling one of her blonde locks between her fingers and scooting closer to him.

"Why are you so tense?" She leaned forward looking directly into his eyes.

"I should of picked her up Mel, I'm worried!"

She rested her hand over his shoulder blades before fixing her gaze on his, there was something loving in the way she looked at him making him tense under her touch. "She is a grown up Tom, if she's not here yet it's maybe because she doesn't want to be here!"

"Why wouldn't she want to be here, she was excited you know I haven't seen her in a month." He placed his head into the palm of his hand taking in a sharp breath. Melissa didn't say anything instead she rubbed circles into the firm planes of his back.

"That actually feels good." He relaxed closing his eyes for a brief moment feeling the tension leave his body.

"I'm glad it's so." She fixed him with an eager smile, Melissa seemed almost like a barbie doll from the way she dressed, up to the way she looked, her voice was sweet and inviting.

Pressing harder onto his back she asked him "Is that good?" He nodded, almost a groan. Although it seemed weird for Melissa to do this she was his best friend and Avery didn't seem to mind her at all might as well enjoy it he thought to himself.

"I know something you'll like better." She flashed him her best smile and he barely got the chance to say what when she pressed her pink plum lips against his leaving him wide eyed. He froze instantly, his mind wasn't able to process a single thought he wanted to push her away but somehow felt immobile, frozen in place. In his peripheral vision he saw Avery entering the coffee shop, she barely made two steps inside and the second their eyes locked she ran out. Nothing but hurt in her beautiful hazel eyes. It was enough to knock him out of the shock and push Melissa off him.

"I don't like you like that Mel !" He said coldly rising quickly to his feet, he reached out to grab his phone on the table and but Melissa grabbed his arm, more like hooked herself onto him like an anchor that just weighed him down.

"Is this because of Avery? Tom I love you more than she ever will!" She almost pleaded tightening her grip on his arm to stop him from going after Avery.

"I love Avery not you Melissa you are....were my best friend" He glanced frostily to her before untangling his arm from her grip, he took his phone quickly from the table.

"She will never love you like me come back Tom!" Hollered the blonde after him as he ran out of the coffee shop. He only had one thing in mind to find Avery. He glanced nervously around the coffee shop Avery was nowhere to be found.

"Fuck, damn it Melissa!" He cursed under his breath quickly dialing Avery's number. His heart pounded loudly in his chest every time it rang and she didn't pick up.