Chapter 3

Tom ran to where Avery's body collapsed, he bent down on his knees staring at her angelic face in utter shock for a moment, hot tears streamed down his face. The lights of the car that hit her flickered in his face but the only thing he could focus on was her. He quickly pulled out his phone and called 999 still in a state of shock.

"Is she okay? Man I'm sorry..." His state of shock was broken by the slurred words of a drunken driver who stumbled getting out of the car and staring at her fragile body with a slight smile on his face. Tom didn't know what happened but something in him snapped, just seeing her like that made his insides boil with anger. Maybe it was the alcohol in his blood, seeing her like that, but most of all he was pissed to see that the man was smiling after hitting her completely unfazed brushing it off like it was nothing. Tom rose to his feet and grabbed the man by the collar of his shirt slamming him onto the steel car hood "You bloody moron! How could you do that and smile?!" He sent a deathly glare at the man, his grayish eyes darkened burning holes through the man's brown ones.

"I..I didn't smile." The man's voice trembled as his body shuddered when Tom tightened the grip on his shirt. Mixed emotions of anger and sadness tangled like electricity throughout Tom's body. The guy's brown eyes were full of fear, as he shuddered again "I..I...I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to hurt her..." he said with a pleading look.

Tom let go of his collar letting the man slide down on the hood of his car sighing in relief. He cursed himself for letting the anger get the best of him as he kneeled hovering slightly over Avery's fragile body. Her beautiful face now had dripping blood down from the side of her lips, her perfect full lips. He took her in his arms gently, carefully , clutching her to his body he planted a kiss on her forehead. She felt so light in his arms, she seemed almost lifeless.

Tom clutched her body closer to his whispering softly as the tears slid down from his face right onto hers "Please love don't die on me, fight!" He kissed the top of her head praying to God. He felt her breath on his skin, her breathing laboured but it was better than no breathing. Her heart beat faintly against his chest. "I'm so sorry love." He whispered softly as he held her close. Her blood dripped all over his shirt staining it but that was the least of his worries. All that mattered was Avery. Tom couldn't stop beating himself up over the fact that it was entirely his fault. If only he didn't say that to her, if only he sighed heavily biting down on his sobs.

He heard the sirens of the ambulance car, thankfully the paramedics arrived quickly. Tom helped the paramedics place her on the stretcher before getting inside of the I ambulance car along with Avery. He watched the paramedics intently as they checked up her physical condition, praying that she was alive.

"She's got pulse but it's low." Said one of the paramedics to the other before pressing his hands over her chest in a well rehearsed pattern. Tom's breath got stuck into his lungs as his heart pounded in his chest "Please...live baby please." He mumbled under his breath so low that not a living soul could hear.

"Oxygen mask please!" Said one of the paramedics, one of the 3 paramedics in the car took an oxygen mask placing it on Avery's face as the other one kept pressing on her chest and checking her pulse every two minutes. Tom tuned out for a second as the paramedics kept her alive. His eyes downcasted to the love of his life, she was in this position because of him. 'How could I ever let that happen?' He thought as more tears sprung to his eyes, sliding down his face effortlessly. .

Soon enough the car made it's stop to the hospital. They quickly pulled out the cart out of the ambulance car. Tom ran next to the cart where Avery's body was laid as the paramedics pushed it and the doctors intervened "Get her to an X-Ray, prepare the MRI!" Said the doctor to the paramedics. "Is she okay?" Tom asked but everyone seemed to ignore him almost like if he wasn't even there. They pushed past him getting her to where the doctor instructed them. He stood there for a second staring at the blood on his shirt and hands.