Chapter 18

Allison was venting to Lily, letting the tears fall freely.

"I need an explanation." Allison said. She was drowning in her own emotions, feeling consumed by them. All she could think of was the hurt that Remus left her with. Under all that hurt, Allison was angry. How could he just leave her? One second it was good, the next it was we need to take a break. She promised herself she'd never cry over a boy. So much for that. Even though it had only been a little over two weeks, they seemed perfect for each other. So, there had to be a reason and she was going to find out.

In the next few days, Remus got out of the hospital wing and stuck with the Marauders, even though he wasn't much company in his depressed state. Allison went out of her way to avoid the crew, if she heard their rambunctious laughter, she ducked into the nearest bathroom or hid in the broom closet, sometimes stumbling upon snogging couples.

Allison resumed her schedule from before she met Remus. She would hide behind the books in the library, doing homework or just reading a book for fun. That was her only enjoyment nowadays. She never realized how close she was with the lot until now. She felt lonely.

Lily was trying to stretch herself between her friends. She liked to hang out with Allison, but she also wanted to be closer to James. James didn't know about her feelings, but if he did, he would have grabbed her and given her a dramatic kiss.

Lily always noticed Remus reading with a sour look on his face. She was sort of peeved at him because of his part in Allison's sadness, but she knew he was a good guy and tried not to think of him as the boy who broke her best friend's heart.

Remus was once again preparing for another full moon in two days. He was dreading it, considering what happened last time. The boys were all aware of it and they all did their best to cheer him up, but he was inconsolable.

Allison dreaded her classes with him and was happy to score against him in quidditch. Remus understood her anger towards him and accepted it. The boys always shook their heads, disappointed at the two.

It was extra credit in Dark Arts and since Allison lost her tutor, she needed more credit. The assignment was to cast a Patronus Charm. She educated herself about the charm in the library before she moved her project outside. She decided to go to the Black Lake. She needed the solitude.

Allison stood at the edge of the water looking out onto the water. It was a nice day for being winter. There was a thin layer of snow on the ground that was being melted by the uncommonly warm weather. She was in her uniform, but had two cloaks on, charmed to keep her warm.

"Expecto Patronum."She said, pointing her wand out to the lake. Nothing happened. There was no animal coming out of the tip of her wand and leaping in the air.

"Expecto Patronum." She said a little louder. She was feeling weak, her magic straining because she lacked the experience for this charm.

"Expecto Patronum!" She yelled. Still nothing. What was she doing wrong? She had her happy memory. She was saying the words right. What else was there to it?

Allison's memory was of when Michael, her little brother, was born. He was a chubby baby with a head of brown hair, unturned nose, and big blue eyes. She loved her brother dearly, despite him being a pain in the arse all the time. So even is she loved him, it wasn't her happiest memory.

She focused on the new memory now, or more series of them, and raised her wand.

"Expecto Patronum." She said. The, a stream of wispy, white light shot out of the tip of her wand and swirled, taking form. She watched it intently, not breaking her focus.

It had long legs, paws, a snout, no tail, not much fur, and little ears. She was confused as to what her patronus was. It almost looked human because of the broad chest and lack of a tail, but it also looked like an animal because of its long snout, claws, and rugged features.

Allison let out a breath as it ran around her. It was a little larger than herself, standing a foot or so taller than her. The memories she had chosen were of her and Remus. The night of pranking they did, snogging in Filtch's wardrobe, and their endless conversations about books, classes, their families and so on. She smiled sadly but at the memories but still focused on her joy to keep up her patronus.

A branch snapped behind Allison and she almost jumped out of her skin, her patronus fading away. Allison scanned the trees for whatever was out there, but didn't see a thing. Now, with her nerves, she packed up her things and left, happy that she had completed her assignment.

A pair of cold eyes watched her leave the lake, not bothering to move as she walked right past him. He was a cruel being with a sinister motive. Infect. Spread. Destroy. Like a disease. He was one of many, but he was the most dangerous of them all.

By his feet, lay a brown haired boy who was a first year Gryffindor. His sleeve on his right arm was rolled up to reveal a bite mark. Thick, dark blood ran down his forearm and onto the ground that was lightly dusted with snow under the roof of the trees. The man grinned menacingly, his teeth red from the boy's blood.