Chapter 21

Fenrir Greyback was the culprit who stole away the innocent children. Never to be seen by their friends and family again. He had nearly succeeded with Allison and Russel, but they were strong. Russel would live on in the hearts and minds of those at Hogwarts and Allison would continue to live.

Remus had been able to cause him enough pain that he was unable to leave in the night. He had stayed on grounds and was spotted by a professor. However, he got away. He apparated to God knows where.

Allison was in the hospital wing. Sweat rolled down her skin and she had shallow breath. Remus was at her side, holding a cool washcloth to her forehead. He had also been  admitted to the hospital wing for his injuries, but his concern laid with Allison.

He couldn't save her. Guilt ate him up on the inside. In front of him, laid the girl he love, in so much pain from the lycanthropy. She had hazy eyes that scanned the room lazily before they landed on Remus.

"Remus?" This was the first time that she had said his name while lucid. She had been hallucinating most of the night, crying in her sleep and for her parents, who were on their way to the castle. Professor Dumbledore had conversed with Remus on the night's events and informed Mr. and Mrs. Garner.

"Yes Alli?" He answered.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She sighed.

"I was afraid that you'd be angry with me." He said, tears coming to his eyes. This could have all been avoided if he had just told her!

"You know I could never be angry with you." She said, closing her eyes. That was her forgiving him, even if Remus couldn't forgive himself. A single tear rolled down his cheek.

Allison had fallen asleep and was oblivious that her parents had arrived. Mrs. Garner rushed to her daughter's bedside and let out a small cry.

"Allison? It's mommy." She said, speaking to her as if she was a baby. Remus stood and moved to his own bed, next to Allison's. He sat on it, watching the reunion.

Mr. Garner took Remus's spot, resting a hand on her head, whispering to his darling daughter. They acted as if she was dying, which could very well happen.

Madam Pomfrey came to her bedside, seeing that it was time for Allison to have her pain relieving potion.

"Excuse me deary." She said solemnly, moving in front of Mrs. Garner. She parted Allison's lips, tipping the vile so that the dark liquid would pour into her mouth. Poppy held her head up so that she wouldn't aspirate it before moving to Remus.

"I'm fine ma'am." He said, looking at his old shoes.

"Remus, please. I know how you must feel, but you have to stay healthy. Now, you are going to drink this and I'll bring lunch up at eleven o'clock sharp." Madam Pomfrey said giving his a sympathetic smile. Poppy was quiet fond of Remus and hated to see him in such a state.

The Garners decide to stay through the night. The Marauders and Lily had come up to visit and they looks over to Allison with sad looks. Remus explained what had happened in a hushed voice, keeping his voice quiet so that Allison's parents wouldn't hear.

"You're not a monster." Lily told him. He assumed that James had told her about his condition. He shook his head in response and looked over to Allison. Each parent was holding one of her hands. He could faintly hear her mumbling about her little brother Micheal.

"He's at home darling." Her mother answered.

"It hurts." She whined.

"I'm sorry baby." Her dad choked.

"You'll be alright. You know this is a magnificent world you live in. Anything is possible." Mrs. Garner said optimistically.

Remus felt his heart sink and he said nothing as he stared blankly in their direction.

I am a monster. Remus thought bleakly.