Chapter 20

Tonight was the full moon. Remus had taken his Wolfsbane Potion, which tastes disgusting. He was nervous and excited. Unfortunately, that morning, young Russel lost his battle with lycanthropy. The fever burned him up. The pain in his bones made him weak. Russel had surrendered to death.

It was a sad day throughout the castle. There was a memorial, although nobody knew the true reason behind his death. They said that it was caused by a deadly parasite. Not many asked questions.

"So, you ready to go?" James inquired. Remus had informed all his friends about what was happening and they grudgingly agreed not to go or follow him.

"I think so." Remus had a bag of clothes packed so that he could keep warm when he changed back. They said their goodbyes and Remus was headed out of the common room and into the cold halls of Hogwarts.

Allison had spent another late night at the library. She would occasionally fall asleep in there and be stuck in there past curfew. Tonight was one of these nights and she tiredly made her way to the Hufflepuff common room. She was heading down the  steps her footsteps inaudible due to the fact that she was carrying her shoes. They had been hurting her feet and she concluded that she needed new ones. Next Hogsmede weekend she planned on buying a new pair.

Just when she got to the right floor, she saw Remus. He had a bag clutched to his body as he peaked around corners, for Filtch as he crept though the halls. What's he doing out of bed? Allison wondered.

Out of curiosity, Allison decided to follow. She stayed hidden behind corners waiting for him to round a  corner before she would move to her next cover. Remus was oblivious to her. He was so focused on his "mission", that he wasn't paying much attention to his surroundings. Her bare feet padding against the stone floors fell of deaf ears. Her intoxicating smell was just something that the wind carried though the halls. They were by the courtyard and the lack of windows exposed his senses to the outside elements.

It was dusk and Remus knew he didn't have much time to get to the Whomping Willow. He figured that he'd stay close to the school, since the other werewolf was getting closer.

Remus crossed the bridge and Hagrid's hut. Allison not far behind. She knew it was time for answers. She had put her old shoes back on and held herself to shield against the cold. There was a thick layer of snow on the ground and she was thankful that she had her cloak on. She charmed it to keep her warm as she followed Remus.

Once Remus was by the Whomping Willow, he laid his bag down where him, his friends, and Allison had a picnic not too long ago. She was hidden behind a tree that was one of the first in those lining the Forbidden Forest.

Remus readied himself to be hit with the moonlight. He started to strip off his clothes to save them from being ruined by the transformation. Allison's eyes widened at the scars across his body. Down his arms, across his torso. They were everywhere. Remus looked like he had gone through a war. How did he get them?

Then, the moon rose into Remus's view. He felt the shift start to happen and he let out a pained groan. His bones grinded together painfully as they grew and changed shape. He let out a holler as his nose elongated, turning into a snout. He grew a head taller, his skin turning gray, and his sclera turning black.

Allison watched in horror as Remus changed into a werewolf. He was huge! He had sharp teeth, long claws, and eyes that made a shiver go down her spine. Now that she was looking at him, he looked awfully familiar.

  It had long legs, paws, a snout, no tail, not much fur, and little ears. She was confused as to what her patronus was. It almost looked human because of the broad chest and lack of a tail, but it also looked like an animal because of its long snout, claws, and rugged features. 

Remus was her patronus? Him as a werewolf. It made no sense. She had never known that he was a werewolf or really even what they were. It was odd. Why?

A gust of wind blew through Allison's hair and carried her scent all the way to Remus. He had his mind and when he recognized her smell, he felt petrified. His head snapped over to her direction and he made eye contact with Allison. Her hazel eyes were full of fear and she hid herself behind the tree.

Remus was worried for her. If the other werewolf got her.... He didn't even want to think about it. He made his way cautiously over to her. He could hear her shaky breath and when she finally came into view, he was doing his best to show that he meant no harm.

Allison had her wand raised and pointed at Remus. She felt as if his spooky eyes were staring straight into her soul. It was terrifying knowing that such an erratic beast as a werewolf was so close you could touch him.

From afar, Remus and Allison were being watched. He had his eyes on his next target. Allison. She would make an excellent breeder for the war.

Fenrir Greyback's job was to change as many children for his master's cause. His job was to infect. He had infected the boy, but should have known that he would have been too weak to handle the virus. It was more of a gift to Fenrir.

He crept from the shadows and into the moonlight. He stalked toward the pair who were oblivious to his presence. This is just too easy. He thought. Although he wondered as to why Remus hadn't bitten her already.

Remus bowed his head to her, he nuzzled her side, and he whined softly to Allison. All to get her to understand that it was him and not the beast.

Then she finally understood. She lowered her wand, looking up into his eyes.

"Remus?" She whispered. Remus did something akin to a nod. Allison let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding in. She reached a tentative hand up and placed it on Remus's shoulder. Now she understood why he pushed her away.

They were broken away from each other by a mighty roar. They both looked in fear as a massive werewolf brought a paw down onto Remus's back, leaving behind deep claw marks. Remus howled in pain, but turned to face the other werewolf.

Remus bared his teeth and readied his claws for attack. Allison was still curled against the tree in shock. Remus clawed wildly at his face, and he dove in to bite the other werewolf's neck. If there aren't any identifiable marks, I'll make some. Remus thought darkly.

The other werewolf barked at Remus, slobber going everywhere. With a violent grab, Remus was on the ground. Fenrir, turned to Allison, with cold eyes and advanced towards her. Allison snapped out of her shock and took off into the Forbidden Forest.

She didn't know where she was going only that it was away from him. Remus was in hot pursuit of Fenrir. He didn't know that it was the werewolf that infected him with lycanthropy, but he still gave the chase everything he had to save Allison. Why is he after her?

Fenrir followed her scent, the sound of her pounding footsteps, and he could see her about thirty feet ahead of him. He was gaining on her fast. Remus was tiring. His breath was ragged and he was foaming at the mouth. He didn't have the stamina that Fenrir had, and Allison was running on adrenaline. She easily ducked under branches, hopped over roots and fallen trees, and was keeping a steady pace. She had long since lost her cloak and her hair was full of twigs, leaves, and cobwebs.

Allison was running hard and it was pitch dark. She did't see the steep hill in front of her and she lost her footing, tumbling down. She fell on a rock and felt her ribs crack. She let out a scream and tears slipped out of her eyes.

Fenrir got to her at the bottom of the hill, where she lay a crumpled mess. He looked down at her and saw exposed skin on her hip. He dipped his head down sinking his teeth into her flesh.

Allison let out a blood curdling scream and Remus looked down at her and the werewolf from the top of the hill. Allison was infected. He couldn't save her.

Remus let out a loud howl, drawing the attention of Fenrir. He would have grinned if he could, but instead he joined in the howling. Blood from his scratches dribbled down his face, but instead of hiding them, they would be a symbol of his triumph.