Chapter Eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Her Birthday Celebration

They were already comfortably seated in their table. 

She asked him, “Who will we meet here?” 

Derek answered kissing her nose, “Have patience, my lovely kitten. They are on their way.  

After a few minutes, General Enrique Gonzales and Captain Carlos Gonzales entered the door. They were escorted by the receptionist on their table. She and Derek stood up. 

It was the first time since Katherine decided to stay with Derek that she had seen her father. Carlos gave her a brotherly hug and a peck on her cheek then greeted her, “Happy Birthday, Kat.” Derek and her father shook hands and gave each other a manly tap on the shoulder.  She kissed her father’s cheek as she had customarily done in the past. 

They all sat down. The waiter had already approached them. They placed their order. Katherine was seated on Derek’s right side while her father was seated on Derek’s left side. Her brother was seated on her right side and on their father’s left side. So Katherine was seated just across her father. 

Derek and her father engaged in a casual conversation. They seemed to be very comfortable with each other. 

Her father asked her fiancé, “So how’s your new project in Ramad, Derek?” 

Derek had replied, “It’s going well, Dad. I should thank you for all your help.” 

Katherine was surprised with the closeness between her father and her fiancée but she didn’t speak. She was aware that Derek had been communicating with her father. But she had never asked Derek much about it. She was happy to know that her father and her fiancé were getting along. 

Her father then said with a happy tone, “I really didn’t do much. You’re an honest businessman, Derek. I wouldn’t have back you up to Ramad’s Governor if you are not. Besides, you are now part of the family.” 

Derek had responded, “Manong Ambrosio will also consult you on some security details for all of my casinos, Dad. We are upgrading our security system. I hope you could accompany us as we toured around.” 

Her father really seemed to be in good spirits talking to Derek, “Yeah, Ambrosio already informed me about it. I already told him that I would join the group. I have all the time in this world anyway.” 

Carlos noticed Katherine’s silence so he talked to her sister. “We just heard that Giselle was pregnant on our way here. Kuya told us that you were the one who brought her to the hospital.” 

Katherine looked at her brother, “Yeah. Giselle had been staying with me for a while because Kuya hadn’t been home for long and Derek had been in Ramad for long. We just finished test driving the car that Derek gave me as a birthday present when she collapsed. She was unconscious for a while. She needs to be in a complete bed rest all throughout her pregnancy. She’ll resign from her work as well.” 

Their father commented, “A woman’s place is truly at home.” 

Their food was served. They engaged in a casual conversation while eating. 

Carlos started it. “I just saw a brand new Ashton Martin Rapide Sedan beside Derek’s Maybach 62S. I assumed that’s your car, Kat.” 

Katherine replied awkwardly, “Yeah.” 

Their father commented, “You should not spoil my daughter with expensive gifts, Derek. I raised her not to be materialistic.” 

Derek responded to his father with politeness even if he had to point out his reason for the expensive gifts, “Yeah, Dad. I’m very much aware that Katherine is not materialistic. That’s one of the many reasons I’m marrying her. But then I need to provide her with things only suitable for the future Mrs. Z.”