Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The Difficult Life Ahead

But it seemed that the married life ahead of them would not be that easy. As soon as they left for their honeymoon in Paris, the five remaining business partners of Derek's father had escaped from the Missi Penitentiary. 

Manong Ambrosio didn't inform Derek right away. He asked the help of General Enrique Gonzales and Atty. Ronaldo Cruz to tighten the security for Derek and Katherine. The authorities had also launched a wide manhunt operation for the fugitives. 

Derek and Katherine during their honeymoon was closely guarded by Carlito, Raoul, Alex and three other well-trained former Filipinas Marine officers that Katherine's father hired. The officers had fallen below the retention standards to return to their full military duties after incurring physical injury. Nevertheless they were capable of performing excellent security services for Derek and Katherine. 

Alex told Derek about the situation as soon as he and Katherine boarded the private jet. Alex introduced them to the three more addition to their close-in security personnel. 

Derek explained everything to Katherine when they reached the privacy of their bedroom in the private jet. 

She was worried, "What's happening, Derek? Why do we have more bodyguards?" 

He let her sat on the edge of the bed. He knelt down in front of her and then told her the truth. "The five living business partners of my father had escaped from Missi Penitentiary, love. Manong had already asked Tito Ronaldo's help as well as your father. You need to lay low with all your charity works first. It would be much safer if you'll stay in the house until they are caught." 

She asked him, "How about you, Derek?" 

"I'll go about my usual work, love," he told her. 

"Can you not work anymore, Derek? Stay at home for a while as well. I'm worried about you," she voiced out her fears. 

"I'm more concern for your safety, Katherine. They will get to you for sure. And they will find any possible way to use you against me. The world knew that you're my weakness," he told her with so much concern. 

She had felt his apprehension, "I won't go anywhere, Derek. I will just stay at home. But promise me you'll be safe. Promise me you'll come home to me every night." 

"I will, Katherine. I'll be safe for you," he assured her. 

Derek left Katherine in the bedroom. He had a videoconferencing with Manong Ambrosio, Tito Ronaldo and Daddy Enrique. 

Tito Ronaldo told him, "An all-out manhunt operation is already at place ever since they escaped, Derek. So far, they hadn't come out of their hiding place yet." 

Manong Ambrosio said, "We fear most for your wife's safety. Your father's business partners were all aware of your ability to escape their murder attempts. The entire world knew you're deeply enamored to your wife and so there's a great possibility that they will get to Katherine to get you." 

Daddy Enrique said, "My daughter might be a capable fighter, Derek. But she is still a woman. All the people around me might think I don't care much for my daughter, but I had to do it for her own safety. I got enemies as well. They had known I don't care much for a daughter and so they hadn't gotten into her to get me. I allowed her to train into martial arts when she was younger even if I don't like the idea of her getting hurt just to prove to me she is as capable as her brothers. I never allowed suitors for her who wouldn't be capable of protecting her. I chose you as a protector of my only daughter, Derek because I felt you'll guard her with all your might and life."