T E M P T E D {ch 4 - Dance, Derision and Determination}

Chapter Four

Dance, Derision and Determination

___________________________________

Haezel O'Malley

I giggled as we all answered at the same time, though deep down I was nervous at the way the third year, Greg, was watching me. I'd seen him do it a lot, nearly every time he was nearby. I heard a group of second years sighing over him after the assembly yesterday, wishing that he would chase after them. I wish he would too. I didn't want any relationship with a player, another guy who would break my heart. It had happened too many times already. I fell in love way too easily.

Greg's face fell, like an adorable puppy's, and he stepped back at our rejection. His friend, however, stopped him from turning away. He glared at us, his piercing gaze coming to a stop on Fox.

"Why? Do you know what an association with us could do to your status in this place?" he said. But it didn't seem like he said it to rub in our faces that we'd turned down the two most wanted guys on campus. He actually looked confused and curious.

Leah spoke first. "We're not interested in status, dimwit. We're here to learn, not to rise on the social ladder."

"But what you're learning here will get you fame. Are you trying to tell me that you want to be educated about entertaining others but you don't actually want other people to know who you are?" he argued back.

Leah stood, her face slowly shading pink. "I don't see how befriending a pair of womanising goons has anything to do with becoming famous after graduation!"

Blake's face darkened. "I apologise for the offer of friendship then. Trust me, it won't occur again." He shot one last dark look at Fox before turning and storming back into the cafeteria. Greg winced, looking over at me with hopeful eyes, before following his friend. Fox sat down slowly, muttering oaths under her breath.

"Well then," said Matt lightly. "Guess we don't have to be worried about them anymore."

She looked up, blowing her fringe out of her eyes. "Sorry guys. I don't think I've ever lost my temper that badly before."

I smiled broadly. "It's okay. You had reason to."

The bell rang and she swore loudly. "Crap! Contemporary Dance."

I pulled my schedule out of my pack. "Ooh we're in a different class! I've got Jazz, Tap and Ballet Beginners. That absolutely sucks!"

We both looked at Matt. He screwed up his forehead trying to remember what he had next. "I'm pretty sure I've got modern hip-hop; technique and fitness. How unlucky is that!"

Fox stood up forcefully, shoving the bench back. "Sometimes I think that someone out there is laughing at me." She shook her head and snorted. "Now for me to express my personality by rolling around on the floor."

"Oh, lighten up," I said cheerfully, thinking about my experience in a leotard. I'd always liked the feeling of lightly prancing over the floor. "You'll have fun."

She laughed uproariously. "Ah, bullshit. At least I have contemporary first up. It's basically following moves, whereas hip-hop requires a bit more strength and ballet needs grace. I can't wait til tomorrow when I have those two lessons," she said dryly.

"Ah, you'll do fine," Matt said as he leaned over and squeezed her arm, "you've got some muscle there."

"Hmm, I guess lifting gear to and from gigs would have developed some kind of muscle mass. Ugh, I do not want to say this but we should go. We're going to be late again."