T E M P T E D {Ch 16 - Unacceptable, Unenthusiastic and Urbane}

Chapter Sixteen

Unacceptable, Unenthusiastic and Urbane

______________________________________

Haezel O'Malley

_________________

I quickly changed out of my leotard into denim shorts and a yellow singlet, annoyed that half of lunch had gone by already. Ms Forsa was way too picky for a first year teacher. My thighs were burning from being stretched too far and the rest of my legs were numb from all the leaps. Waking up tomorrow was going to be hell.

...Though tomorrow night was going to be worse. The second session for Greg's dance group was tomorrow and I was tempted to just not show up. I'd gone to huge lengths to avoid him since the Incident, staying in my dorm room as soon as school finished, edging into the female bathroom when he was walking my way in the hallways and keeping clear of the cafeteria during breaks. And he wasn't allowed in my thoughts, no way. I'd forgotten the kiss. I'd forgotten the way he'd held on tightly to my hips and how his talented lips had made me fall into a stupor. I'd definitely forgotten how just reliving the moment had given me barely any sleep that night.

What would he say tomorrow? What if he didn't say anything? Should I say something? Warn him to stay away from me?

I was so caught up in my thoughts I didn't notice anyone in front of me until I ran into a hard chest.

"Oh, hey there." Wide palmed hands grabbed onto my upper arms but instead of pushing me away, I was held still.

I looked up. Porcelain skin, thick black hair. The guy from my music class, Vance I think his name was... Vance? Was I making that up? It sounded right but it was an unusual name. He smirked, his thin lips quirking upwards. His eyes pinched together on the outside and from this close I could see that they were a very dark brown.

"Watch where you're going, sweetheart," he drawled. His voice made me want to gag. There was something about him that just didn't sit right. I remembered what the gossip had told me in the music class, how he wasn't the type to give up on a challenge. I really didn't have the capability to tell two stubborn guys to back off.

I took a step back, forcing him to let go, and gave him a fake smile. "Sorry, I'm off in my own world at the moment. Sorry for running into you."

I sidestepped to go around him. He grinned.

"Still playing hard to get, huh?" He tucked his hands in his pockets and looked like the cat that got the cream.

"Look, Vance is it?" I folded my arms across my chest, irritation building. He opened his mouth to answer but was interrupted when Faye turned into the hall.

"Oh, Haezel, hey!" She smiled at me and made her way over with her elegant gait.

Vance made a 'tsk' sound under his breath and took a step back. "I'll see you in our next music class, Haezel." He winked at me and swaggered off down the hall.

"Do you like that guy?" Faye asked, looking a little concerned.

I shook my head vehemently. "God no. He's just not getting the hint, you know what I mean?"

She laughed lightly. "Yeah. That's good. I've heard things about that guy. Apparently he's got some major anger issues."

"What?" That didn't sound good.

"Mmm, it could be just rumours but there were a few incidents last year..." she trailed off, looking slightly hesitant. But then she straightened up and smiled. "Are you going to lunch?"

I looked down at my bag of gear. "I should get this stuff back into my locker but I'll meet you there."

She nodded and I set off toward my locker.