T E M P T E D {ch 10 - Frustration, Fears and Foes}

Chapter Ten

Frustration, Fears and Foes

_______________________

Leah Fox

_____________

I watched tiredly as the hands of the clock slowly inched towards four o'clock, the time I could finally leave this classroom. I could have sworn that the minute hand was stuck, not moving forward or backwards, but it did eventually get to the twelve and the teacher released us. I lifted my heavy head and stumbled my way out of class. And, boy, did I get the surprise of my life.

"Leah!" It was Kurt's voice, I knew that voice, but before I could confirm, a huge body barrelled into me, arms wrapping around me like I was a long lost teddy bear. I staggered back and lost my footing so we both dropped to the ground. It sure was Kurt and he was grinning like a lunatic above me. I didn't know whether to laugh with the joy of seeing him or punch him for scaring me.

"Stacks on!" And there was Jack.

"No, guys, seriously..." I felt the wind slam out of me for a second time as Jack flopped onto Kurt. "Ugh."

"Guys, get off my sister."

Happiness cut through the suffocated feeling. "Rhy? I swear to Mother Nature, Wolfe twins, that if you don't get off me there will be tears. Some of them might even be mine."

I felt the weight lighten as Jack stood and then Kurt lifted himself off me. He helped me up and then draped his arm over my shoulder. Jack stood on my other side. Rhyley was in front of me and next to him, standing so close that to someone walking by they could look like friends, was Blake. I scowled at him. He had probably been stirring up trouble with my brother behind my back.

"Damn, I missed out my chance. Did you guys have to stand up so quickly?" he said with a grin. I was so not in the mood for him. The day had drained me, the detention had provided me with a temper that was about to explode.

Rhyley punched him in the arm. This was not right. They were looking like friends even to me.

"You don't get to jump on my sister without my say-so," he said. But he was grinning. What the...?

"Rhyley! What the hell? Blake? Do you seriously not have anything to do other than harass me?" I was flabbergasted at them both. Why were they acting like friends? Blake seemed to dislike me and my brother should be loyal to me, hating everyone that I did.

"You aren't friends?" asked Jack, looking thoroughly confused.

"Oh hell no." Was that a joke? What had Blake been telling them? I felt a clenching sensation in my stomach as my eyes locked on him. Friends... that was impossible since he hated me... and I think I hated him. Well, my first impression of him wasn't great anyway and I was sure that if I got to know him more that my dislike would only deepen.

Blake smirked. "See how she tries to deny it? I think she's embarrassed that one of the most popular guys in school is giving her this attention." He sighed dramatically as my blood slowly reached boiling point. "Why won't you see through my status to the lowly gentleman underneath?"

My headache was throbbing. It felt like if it hurt any more than I would black out. "You picked a bad time to piss me off, Blake. I'm going to kill you," I said calmly, as if discussing the weather.

"So this means you two are really truly NOT friends?" Kurt cleared.

"I'd sooner quit the band than become his friend."

"Whoa." Jack shook his head in disbelief. "He seemed pretty believable but when you put it like that..."

"Aw my feelings are SO hurt," said Blake, a grin on his face belying his words.