T E M P T E D {ch 5 - Challenges, Courage and Caring}

Chapter Five

Challenges, Courage and Caring

______________________________

Haezel O'Malley POV

________________

I printed my name neatly on the volunteer form, even though I was nearly trembling with nerves. Was this a smart idea, to join the dance group that would be choreographed by the guy who was resolved for me to be another notch on his bed post? I finished the last 'y' and looked at my name with determination. I would repel him from me to the best of my ability. I would NOT fall in love again.

Leah put her arm over my shoulder and pulled me along to our next class, Music.

"I can't believe we're doing this dance thing," she grumbled for the thousandth time. "And with that jerk-off too."

"It'll be fun," I said firmly, for the benefit of both of us. "And we'll improve our skills in the process."

"You keep saying that but I just can't believe it," she said dryly.

I laughed as we turned into the music centre, and then was immediately quiet. Standing in the middle of the room, which seemed to have hundreds of doors, was a seriously grumpy man. He glared at us when we walked in.

"You are?" he huffed.

"Um, I'm Leah Fox and this is Haezel O'Malley," said Fox before I had the chance to recover my tongue. This guy looked like he was about to bite our heads off.

He ran a finger down the paper he had in his hands. Behind us we heard someone else enter the room. I looked back and saw the haughty girl who'd been near-publicly dumped yesterday. I turned to the man again to see that he had his eyes on the girl behind me and it looked like he was almost smiling.

"Ah, Janelle. You can go straight to advanced vocal lessons."

Her heels tapped against the ground as she headed for one of the doors. Just before she entered she glanced back and, to my surprise, gave me a look of disgust. Fox snorted a little in amusement upon seeing the look and bumped me to get my attention. I turned to her and she rolled her eyes. I grinned.

"Ah, two first years, Haezel and Leah. What do you two specialise in?" The guy asked us impatiently, suddenly sullen once more.

"Erm, singing," Fox said hesitantly.

"And have you had lessons before?"

"Yeah. Quite a few."

He put the papers down onto the floor and picked up his suitcase, rifling through the sheets of paper inside.

"Can you sing this for me?" he said, shoving a sheet of music in her direction. She looked over it and then up at him.

"What, now?"

"No, at the Christmas play," he muttered sarcastically. "Yes, now!"

"Erm..." she glanced at the notes again. "I guess."

He raised an eyebrow, waiting.

She began, straight away her voice confident and smooth. I didn't know the tune, wasn't aware of what the different notes were, but the sound of her song made goosebumps rise on my skin and my heart to warm. Her voice was stunningly sensational. When she'd finished I was simply speechless.

"Well then," said Grump, he too seemed awed. "I'll place you in advanced. Just go through the door to the left that Janelle just entered."

"Say what? She's in the year above me." Leah looked as if the man had told her that the sky was actually pink.