Bus Ride

The light was blinding, cutting off everything else in your vision. You tried covering your eyes, but the light still filled your gaze, even in the dark.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" Some man asked you while you struggled, a hint of authority in his voice.

Finally getting adjusted to the bright light, you slowly removed your hand from your eyes, glancing around in surprise at the man attempting to help you. He was wearing a dark blue uniform, a badge pinned proudly to his chest. He had a slight dusting of scruff on his chin, his eyes were almost gray in color, and he was tall, at least taller than you.

"Ma'am?" He repeated because you still hadn't answered him. You looked around, the city sidewalk busy around you, with high skyscrapers slowly blocking out the sun that had moments ago blinded you.

"Where am I?" You whispered, having no recollection of what you were doing on that street. The more you thought about it, you had no recollection of who you were or anything else about you.

"You're in Denver Ma'am. Is there somebody I can call to help you?" He asked, pulling a phone out of his pocket.

You thought hard, trying to come up with anything at all that might help you remember, but you couldn't. Your mind was a blank slate, wiped clean. "No." You whispered, scared of what that meant for you.

He sighed, before putting his phone away. "Why don't you come with me, I can drop you at the hospital."

You recoiled from him, knowing you didn't want to go to a hospital, but having no idea why. He reached for you, and you did the first thing that came to mind. You ran, pushing through the crowd that was as thick as glue on the sidewalk, your feet pounding the pavement as you ran away from the cop who was just trying to help you. Not paying any attention to where you were going, you just moved, past shouting people, past honking cars. It didn't matter where, as long as it wasn't here.

Your heart pounding fast, you finally slowed, resting your hands on your knees. After catching your breath, you took stock of your surroundsings, immediately noticing a bus stop across the street. Something urged you to keep moving, and you reachedi nto your pockets, hoping there was cash inside. 

You were in luck, there were a couple of crumpled twenties in your front pocket, along with an antique silver bracelet. You had a sudden aversion to the bracelet, wanting to keep it, but not wanting it on your body at all. Shoving it in your pocket, you crossed the street, looking up at the schedule. There were buses to California, Montana, anywhere you wanted to go. But one destination stood out like a sore thumb, and you knew you had to travel there. You might not know who you were, or anything, but you knew where your next step had to be.

Stepping into line, you quick purchased a ticket, grateful that your bus was leaving in fifteen minutes. It was already letting passengers load, and you climbed on, settling towards the back of the bus. Before long you heard the bus driver yelling last call before shutting the doors. It was fairly empty, an older couple up front, a young man sitting in the very last seat, and a couple of teenage girls giggling in the middle.

"One-way ride to Lebanon Kansas." The bus driver exclaimed, before pulling out onto the street. The dusk was settling, and you were in awe at the beautiful orange and blue sunset that was setting above the mountains. Turning east, the sunset was now at your back, and you watched as the city slowly faded away, turning into farms, then fields of corn, as far as you could see before the sky darkened enough that you couldn't see past the window.

As the bus rolled along the highway, you closed your eyes, urging yourself to remember something, anything that would help you figure out who you were, and what you had been doing in Denver. What you saw confused you, and you were sure it had to be from a movie or a tv show, or even a weird dream. Because there was no way you had been alive in the 1800s.

You finally fell asleep, the rocking of the train lulling you into a sense of comfort and security. Your sleep was broken by dreams, fragments of something you couldn't quite understand. Visions of an evil, dark place, a man with a British accent, filled your dreams. It was terrifying, and you woke, your body shivering as you tried to calm yourself down, knowing you wouldn't be able to sleep anymore on the ride.

An hour later, the bus pulled into Lebanon and you climbed off, grateful for the chance to stretch your legs. It was still pitch black outside, the only light coming from the streetlights bathing the empty street. Not knowing what else to do, you walked, taking in the sights, hoping something would look familiar.

After an hour, your feet were sore, as was your brain. Nothing was ringing a bell, and you were tired and hungry, but you didn't have enough money for a hotel room. In front of you was a bar, the open sign still flashing. With nowhere else to go, you pushed open the double doors, surprised at how busy the bar was at this time of night.

The bar itself was full, as were the tables lining the side of the dance floor. The dance floor was the only thing empty, most patrons were either drinking or playing pool at the back of the bar.

Taking quick stock of your money, you decided to splurge on a beer and a hamburger, even though you knew it would have been better to save your money. Sitting down at the bar, the bartender came over, a handsome young man.

"And what can I do for you, pretty lady?" He asked, leaning over the bar, his light blue eyes lighting up with interest.

"A hamburger and a beer please." You responded.

"Sure thing sweetheart." He answered, and as you waited for your food, you watched the other patrons, wanting to take your mind off of your problems.

There was a heated game of pool at the back, a group of college-aged men laughing and kidding each other as they racked the balls. The bar was filled with mainly men, each tuned into their drink, probably trying to relax after a long day at work. One man, in particular, caught your attention. He was at the end of the bar, bathed in shadows, a glass of whiskey sitting in front of him, his head in his hands.

It was then the bartender came back with your drink and food. Thanking him, you had to ask. "Who's that man at the end? He seems awfully sad."

The bartender looked down to where you were pointing. "Him? He's been in here every night for almost a month. Doesn't talk, but keeps a steady supply of whiskey in front of him."

Feeling inexplicably drawn to the man, you took what was left of your money, knowing it was a bad idea, but you did it anyway. Giving it to the bartender, you asked him to buy the man a beer, hoping to steer him away from the hard liquor.

"What kind?" The bartender asked, and you looked at the selection in front of you. Picking a unique one, you watched as the bartender delivered it, but nerves had you turning your head down, facing your food.

Here you were, no idea who you were, and you were hitting on strange men at the bar. Chastising yourself, you took a big bite of the burger just as a hand touched your shoulder, sending a jolt of electricity through your body.

"Excuse me miss, are you the one who bought the beer for me? How did you know it was my favorite type?" A deep voice, like whiskey being poured, said from behind you. Looking up, you came into contact with the most gorgeous pair of green eyes you had ever seen, a pair that widened when they took in your appearance.

"Y/N?" He exclaimed, a lock of shock crossing his face, as you raised your eyebrow in confusion, wonder who this Y/N was.