What Now

For some reason, you felt afraid of the man standing in front of you, your body instantly tensing up, and you were ready to run for your room at his slightest move.

Dean felt you tense up next to him, noticing how you were perched on the edge of your seat, ready to run at any moment. Placing a comforting hand on your knee, he left it there while he addressed who you figured had to be Cas. How he got in the room without you hearing was a mystery, but you weren't worried about that right now.

"Thanks for coming Cas. Come sit down." Dean told him, pointing to the chair next to Crowley. You watched as Cas frowned down at Crowley before he sat across from you.

"What did you need Dean. Is it about Y/N?" Cas started off, but Crowley answered him instead.

"Yes Cas, of course, it's about her. She's the only one that's recently died, and been brought back." Crowley muttered sarcastically, and you knew there was no love lost between these two.

Cas looked at you then, deeply, and you felt yourself squirming in your seat, his gaze uncomfortable. "Hmm, she's no longer a Demon." Cas murmured, surprised.

"How can you guys tell with just a look that I was a Demon?" You asked curiously.

Cas shrugged his shoulders, like it wasn't a big deal, the movement seeming new and a little uncomfortable for him, as if he wasn't used to human gestures. "I'm an angel, I can sense things like that." Was all he said.

You laughed, suddenly amused. "So that's why you guys keep glaring at each other. An angel, and the king of hell sitting side by side. So if we have angels and demons, do all the other monsters exist too?"

Cas squinted his eyes at you in confusion. "That's correct. But you should know that you've been hunting them with Sam and Dean."

That partially explained how you knew the men then since they were being so tight-lipped about everything. Maybe you could get this angel alone to find out more, you thought to yourself, your unease around him lifting.

"Cas, she came back, was dropped in the middle of Denver, with no clue who she was, or anything," Dean explained.

Cas nodded his head. "But how did you get back here?" He asked.

You shrugged your shoulders, still not completely sure what had brought you back here. "I just felt like this was where I needed to be. I had no idea why, but it felt right."

"So Cas, did you bring her back?" Sam brought up the million-dollar question, one you weren't sure if you wanted to know. Because if he didn't bring you back, and Crowley hadn't, then who did? Who was more powerful than an angel and the king of hell to bring you back?

Your heart stopped when Cas shook his head negatively. "I'm sorry Dean, but it wasn't me."

"Well if it wasn't you, and it wasn't Crowley, then who the hell was it?" Dean asked, anger lacing his words. You sat there, confused and exhausted, too numb to be upset. 

Cas slowly stood up, his trenchcoat floating around him as he moved in front of you. "I am not sure," he started carefully. "But I would like to help. May I?" He held up his fingers, but you leaned away, still unsure about him, not knowing what he had in mind. 

"I just want to reach into your mind, to see if your memories are still there. If they are, I'll try to bring them to the surface. If you have them back, maybe it will shed a light on who did this." 

Even though he explained his actions, you still leaned towards Dean, scared that it would hurt.  "How do I know this won't hurt, or turn me into a vegetable?"

Cas squinted his blue eyes at you. "Why would I turn you into a vegetable? Do you want to be a vegetable?"

"Cas, she meant that you would fry her brain, making it so she's just a shell of herself, unable to move or talk," Sam explained for you.

"Oh," Cas replied, your comment finally making sense to him. "Well, it will probably hurt, after all, you were a Demon and now as a human, it will be hard to hold all those memories. As for a vegetable, I don't think that will happen, but I can't say for certain."

"It's your choice Y/N," Dean told you.

Taking the hand that was still resting on your knee, you turned it, until your palms were touching, your fingers interlaced. "But, if I don't take this chance, I won't ever know what was between us." You spoke softly, knowing that a little pain would be worth knowing more about this man. 

Dean smiled at you, a small smile that didn't even reach his eyes, before cupping your face. "I know. But we can always try to start over. I would rather try than to see you hurt."

You looked at Sam, then Crowley, knowing these men were important in your life, frustrated because you couldn't remember how. Making your mind up, you turned to Cas. "I've decided. Please try."

"Y/N..." Dean started, but you stopped him.

"It's my choice. Seeing all of you here, ready to help me, a person who doesn't even remember you made me realize that I'm not really living right now. I'm just a shell, and I want to try to fix that. Even if it doesn't work, at least I've tried."

Cas nodded at you, seemingly pleased with your choice. "Do you want to do this here, or maybe in one of the rooms where you might be comfortable?" Cas asked, which caused Dean to narrow his eyes at his friend.

"Maybe you should restate that, Cas," Dean growled, jealous.

Cas swallowed thickly, before explaining "I'm afraid she might faint, and I don't want her to get hurt."

Standing up, you placed your hand on Cas' shoulder. "It's alright Cas, I understand, and so does Dean. Now follow me, I know of a room we can use."