Chapter 28

"You don't have to do this, you know." Hermione sighed as Harry, Ginny, Astoria and Blaise lay duvets on the floor of the Head Perfects Common Room. "I'm fine. Really."

"No, 'Mione. You're not!" Ginny said flatly as she threw a pillow at Astoria. "According to Blaise you haven't eaten in week's."

"That's a lie!" Hermione exclaimed not wanting to have this discussion.

"Okay, now that is a lie." Blaise stated peeking his head out from under a blanket. "Yesterday, I brought you some pumpkin pasties and you didn't eat them!"

"That's because I don't like them!" She explained before going into the bathroom.

"You like everything!" Ginny called after her as the door slammed shut.

H

ermione let out a frustrated groan. She knew her friends ment well, but this was more or less crossing the line!

They had spent the whole week mollycoddling her. Forcing her to eat, drink, and sleep. It was as if her mother had followed her to Hogwarts! Which Hermione would have requested, if she had wanted to be cared for in the first place!

She crossed the room to the sink and turned on the cold water. She splashed her face with the refreshing substance and sighed in relief. As she reached for the towel, the Gryfindor caught sight of her reflection in the mirror above the basin and gasped in horror.

There were dark circles under her eyes, which made her look less like herself. However, the more she studied the reflection, she became more aware of what effects Draco's absence was having on her.

Her usual smile had been replaced by a constant frown. Her hair that was usually neat, or as neat as she could get it, was carelessly gripped up into a ponytail. Her blue jeans and pale pink jumper had somehow turned into black jeans and a dark shirt.

Nothing that the Gryfindor Princess saw in that mirror looked like the Hermione Granger everyone knows and loves. Instead, she looked like a Death-Eater who had been beaten and left for dead!

She shook her head, trying to hold back the tears threatening to stream down her colour-drained cheeks and stepped away from the basin in horror. She turned to one of the bedroom doors, pushed it open and went inside. Not bothering to check whose room it was.

She closed the door quietly behind her and leant against it. She tilted her head back so it was resting on the dark wood and closed her eyes, once again groaning in frustration.

Her head was full of so many unanswered questions, which scared the young witch. She had always been able to answer almost any question confidently, but for some reason - she couldn't find even the simplest of answers.

The Gryfindor Princess stepped away from the door and walked further into the room. She sat down on the bed debating on whether or not to go back into the Common Room. She eventually decided to spend a little longer in the room alone.

She laid back on the duvet, closing her eyes and sighing in exhaustion. All the sleep she was losing worrying over Draco was slowly, but surely, catching up with her.

She buried her head in the covers and gasped. This was Draco's bed! She sat up and looked around her. And this was his room! She nuzzled her head into the covers and sighed. They still smelt of him.

She missed him dearly. He had been taken to St. Mungo's earlier that week to be examined by professionals and even then she wasn't allowed to see him. Blaise had stayed in the Common Room for a couple of nights after that and they looked after each other. But once he had left, Hermione found herself waking up at two in the morning and wandering aimlessly around the Common Room for a while before going back to bed and trying to fall back asleep.

Just recently, this had stopped, mainly because she hadn't actually been able to sleep, but also because she had given up trying to occupy herself. Because the only way she could do that, was if she knew for definite, that Draco was safe and unharmed.

As she closed her eyes, the Gryfindor felt a tear steam down her rosy cheeks. She sat up and wiped it away with the sleeve of her shirt, but it was no use.

After a while, she gave up and just sat there, in the dark, sobbing. Letting the tears stream down her face. After all, there was no point in fighting for anything, because everything worth fighting for had been destroyed by Ronald Billius Weasley.