Chapter 37

The past couple of weeks passed by in a blur for Hermione. She'd struggled to concentrate on, well, anything! The whole time, her head refused to cooperate and insistently replayed the same words over and over again: 'Perhaps it was a delusion'. It frustrated her to know that every piece of homework would soon become nearly impossible for her to complete if this continued.

"Hermione?" Astoria gently placed a cold hand on the brunette's forearm.

"Sorry, Astoria." Hermione sighed, shaking her head slightly. "What we're you saying?"

"I was telling you about how Draco and Harry seem to be back to being friends again." She paused, looking at Hermione with concern in her eyes. "But you completely zoned out."

The brunette sighed and rested her head on her hands as she tried to think of something to take her mind off it. "I need help."

The Slytherin girl frowned. "Okay..?"

"I can't focus on anything, Astoria! I need serious help." Hermione rephrased what she'd said before.

"Oh right." Followed by the loud screech of the chair sliding backwards on the stone floor, Astoria stood up and held out a hand. "Come on."

A few moments later, the two of them were walking into the Hospital Wing, hoping to get what they needed there. Madame Pomfry hurried over and directed Hermione to one of the many empty beds. "Maybe this isn't the kind of help I meant, Astoria."

"Oh, 'Mione." Was all the left the other girl's mouth as she smiled.

Madame Pomfry came over again and placed a small vile on the table beside Hermione's bed. "Miss. Granger, what seems to be the problem?"

Hermione didn't even get a chance to speak, seeing as Astoria cut her off. "She can't focus on anything, Professor. She often zones out when you speak to her. In truth, she doesn't seem like herself."

"I am myself, Astoria." The brunette reminded her friend politely.

"Actually, Miss. Granger, it sounds as though you're not yourself in any way." Madame Pomfry stated, a frown etched onto her aging face.

The two girls looked at each other, but it was, again, Astoria who spoke. "I'm sorry?"

"It seems to me that Miss. Granger has exhausted herself."

But, Hermione shook her head. "That's impossible. I'm managing to sleep at night, so how does that..?"

"Miss. Granger, allow me to finish." Madame Pomfry silenced the Gryfindor girl, who nodded and let the witch continue. "It would appear that you've exhausted yourself through the use of magic."

"The use of magic?" Astoria frowned, becoming completely baffled by the revelation. "How is that possible?"

"It usually occurs when you over use magic at night, particularly when you're tired and lacking in sleep." Madame Pomfry explains, but frowns. "However, Miss. Granger has already said she isn't having trouble sleeping."

"So how has it happened?" Hermione questioned, not prepared leave without an answer.

Madame Pomfry could only sigh, something Hermione knew the meaning of all too well. "I'm not sure. But, I will inform you if I discover anything - I encourage you and your friends to do the same also."

"Of course." Astoria agreed, helping the brunette off the bed and towards the door.

***

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"Draco - how many more times do I have to tell you? - I'm fine." Hermione giggled, her eyes not leaving the page of her book.

"But, you're not 'fine'." The blonde boy argued, leaning on the back of the sofa.

The brunette huffed in annoyance at the boy. "Draco Malfoy, I said I'm fine."

"You're reading that book upside down." The Slytherin boy pointed out as Hermione fell silent. "I'm sorry, I should've just..."

"Can I ask you something?" The Gryfindor girl asked, putting her book down on the coffee table.

"Sure." Draco moved and sat beside the brunette, watching as her face displayed multiple emotions.

"Do you think it's possible that I'm... under the influence of something?" Hermione frowned, keeping her gaze on the floor.

"You mean, like a spell of some sort?" The blonde boy asked as she nodded in response. "I don't know, 'Mione. Why'd you ask?"

"Madame Pomfry said that I'm exhausted from over using magic." The brunette shrugged with a sigh. "But I haven't been using magic very much."

Draco shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Please tell me you're not suggesting that someone has you under the influence of, say, the crutiatus curse?"

"I'm not saying that's the case." Hermione corrected the platinum blonde haired boy. "I was just saying, what if."

"Well, if that's the case, don't you think I would've noticed something by now?" The Head Boy stood up and took the book from the brunette's hands. "Come along, Granger. I think that's enough 'What If' for one night."

With a weak smile, the Gryfindor Princess allowed Draco to guide her into her bedroom, where he sat with her until she fell asleep. On his way out, the Slytherin boy couldn't help but want to take precautions after his conversation with Hermione. He took her wand from the bedside cabinet and made sure the bathroom door had been locked before exiting and locking her bedroom door.

There, he told himself as he took the brunette's wand into his own room and locked his own door behind him, Now we'll see what's really going on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Guys!

Oh my God, it's been so long! I'm so sorry about the long wait, really I am. I just became so busy with everything else that I completely forgot about this book! To be completely honest, I'd somehow convinced myself it'd already been completed. But, that's beside the point. I promise the updates are coming, slowly but surely! And if I ever take too long to update again... You have my full permission to pester an update out of me!