Chapter 38

Draco was woken my the sound of a loud thud in the middle of the night. That thud was followed by a scream, one of which you might expect to hear from a tortured soul. For a moment, he thought it was a dream, but then he remembered what he'd done as he left Hermione alone hours before. Hermione!

In an instant, the half asleep blonde scrambled from his bed, fighting to untangle himself from beneath the duvet, and rushed his way into the main seating area of the Head Prefects Common Room. As soon as he set foot in there it became clear that he'd forgotten to put on a shirt, the bitter coldness of the large space sent immediate shivers down Draco's arms.

Another scream came from behind the closed doors of Hermione's room, all Draco could think about was finding help; he didn't know who or what was behind that door with Hermione. And so, with that thought in mind, he ran out of the Head Prefects Common Room and into empty corridors of the castle. He knew exactly where to go.

In a matter of, what felt like seconds, Draco found himself face to face with the portrait that guarded the Gryfindor Common Room. There was zero chance of him getting past the portrait and Draco was well aware of that.

"Are you lost, young man?" The woman sneered, peering down at the blonde boy.

"I need to speak with Harry Potter." Draco stated, realising how odd he sounded. "It's urgent."

"I'm sure it is." The portrait chuckled.

"Are you going to let me through or...?"

"Good heavens no!" The woman exclaimed. "I simply cannot let a Slytherin student past - it's not within my power."

Draco rolled his eyes. "You're a door. I'm sure it's well within your power to let me past."

"I'm afraid not." The painting seemed to develop a rather impatient tone. "Now, if you don't mind, I suggest you take yourself back off to bed."

"Can't you at least send for him?" Draco questioned with no intention of leaving without Harry.

The woman in the painting sighed. "Very well. Wait here."

And with that the woman turned and began walking out of view, leaving Draco on his own. This, however, was a bad thing for Draco as the silence only allowed his mind to consider the worst possible outcome for this situation.

What if someone got in and is torturing her in there?
What if she had a severe illness that she never spoke about and it was slowly killing her?

And then came the worst thought of all...

What if she was under the influence of some kind of torturous spell?

He never got the chance to consider the options he'd provided himself because, as soon as he'd thought of it, the portrait swung open to reveal a rather exhausted looking Harry.

"Draco?" The Boy Who Lived squinted, trying to adjust his eyes to the variation of light between the Gryfindor Common Room and the empty corridor.

"I'm sorry about this." Draco sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Really I am! But... I wouldn't be here without a decent reason."

"Draco, as much as I appreciate the apology - what's going on?" Harry frowned, ruffling his messy hair with his hand.

"It's Hermione." Draco explained, averting his gaze to the stone floor beneath his feet. "She started screaming and - and I'm pretty sure she..."

"Draco, stop." Harry demanded, suddenly now wide awake. "You had my attention as soon as you mentioned 'Mione. Wait here."

The blonde boy nodded and watched as Harry backed into the Common Room hurriedly and stood  at the bottom of the stairs.

"Ginny!" The Boy Who Lived yelled, undoubtedly waking the entirety of the Gryfindor house. "Ginny Weasley!"

The sound of a door opening and closing was heard and followed by a very irritated Ginny Weasley, who's red hair now resembled somewhat of a ginger mane.

"What in the name of Merlin do you want, Harry Potter?" She snapped, clearly not impressed about being woken.

"It's Hermione." Harry said two words and within a split second had Ginny racing down the stairs to join him as they vacated the Common Room.

They reached the portrait and were about to leave when another interruption held them back.

"Harry? Ginny?" A groggy voice stopped the three of them in their tracks. "Malfoy? What're you all doing?"

"Neville, if I could, then I'd preform that same spell Hermione used on you in our first year to stop you from grassing on us." Harry let out a sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. "But I can't, so I won't. Now I'm going to trust that you'll just keep this between us, okay?"

"Harry, I wasn't trying to stop you." Neville admitted, a small smile tugging on his lips as he remembered the incident Harry was speaking of. "But, if Ron asks...?"

"Tell him I couldn't sleep so I went for a walk." Harry stated, shrugging.

"Okay, I can do that."

"Thanks, Neville." Ginny smiled as she began to push the portrait shut. "We really appreciate this."

"No problem." Neville beamed a goofy smile. "I'm glad I could help."

And as soon as the portrait was shut tight, both of the Gryfindors turned to Draco.

"What now?" Ginny asked, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

"We fetch Blaise." Draco said simply, gaining two looks of confusion.

"You're not serious, are you?" Harry frowned.

"I don't know about you, but I know for a fact that Blaise won't be best pleased if we do this without him." Draco explained, running a hand through his platinum hair. "And besides, if worse come to worst, we might need all the help we can get."