In the clear

I watched him fidget and stir in his sleep, the hold of his hands on me tightening a bit before deep, gorgeous pools of hazel opened and took me in, my breath completely faltering. I was stunned into silence -that was how much I'd missed those eyes on me- and appearently so was he, his mouth even gaping a little. 

"Pinch me." He muttered after a while, his hazels still scanning my face carefully, his voice all raspy and adorable. "You're awake." Gabriel breathed, his back straightening, his head dropping to my hands again, his lips placing soft, lingering kisses all over my knuckles. I was literally in tears while trying and failing to express any coherent thought. "I should get the nurse. I'd been told to go get the nurse whenever you woke up." I slowly nodded and tried for a smile. "I'll be right back." I watched him stand up to his full height, my eyes feasting on the sight ahead of me. For God's sake! He really was just as amazing as I remembered him to be. 

The sound of the shutting door followed by the shuffling noises coming from the hallway made me close my eyes in pain. My head was still killing me and I had no idea if it was the drugs I'd been fed by Marco, the time I'd spent into a hospital bed, or Gabriel's presence doing that to me. 

The door opened again and a nice-looking, rather old lady started for my bed, her hands already fumbling with a stethoscope. She gave me a nice smile while placing the cold end of the damn thing to my chest and quietly listened to my hearbeats for a while. My arm was then quickly captured, the nurse swiftly checking my blood pressure and then sticking a sharp needle into my skin. I couldn't help the hiss escaping my lips, my eyes immediately scanning the room for Gabriel. He was leaning against the wall, his entire body taut and tense. He looked like he was barely containing himself from strangling the poor woman trying to perform what I knew to be the usual checkup for patients like me. 

"Your vitals look alright so far. We'll run some blood tests and then get back to you with the results, but I'm pretty optimistic about this. You appear to have made a good recovery." I slowly nodded, feeling like my head could burst from that simple action, my face bunching up in a pained grimace. "You might feel a little dizzy for a while and your head is going to hurt a little, but other than that you should be fine. I'll let the doctor give you the further details of your condition." I smiled and the nurse nodded swiftly before turning toward the door and starting to exit the room. "She can have some soup now, but that's all. Her stomach won't be able to hold anything solid down for a couple of days." The nurse said on her way out and I wondered idly who she was talking to before realising her words were meant for Gabriel's ears. "You can also go have some rest now. She's in the clear, trust me." My brows shot up in surprise. I thought doctors were only supposed to give medical information about a patient to the family of said patient. 

Gabriel smiled kindly at the woman, his eyes then shooting right back to my face. "Thank you, Glenda, but I think I'm gonna stay a little longer." Glenda? So he was now on the first name basis with my nurse, huh? Who the fuck did he think he was?

"I expected nothing less of you, my boy." The amusement lacing her voice made my brows lift further. Was I missing something? As if sensing my confusion, the woman turned on her heels, giving me a gentle smile. "This boy hasn't budged from your bedside since you were brought in here. We even had to come and force feed him." She scoffed a little and then out she was, leaving both me and Gabriel staring at eachother. 

"You didn't have to do that, you know?" I mumbled after a while and his eyes softened up, his feet taking him back to the chair next to my bed. 

"Yes, I did." He sighed, lowering himself onto the chair and reaching for my hand once more. I just let him have his way and he softly took it to his lips, kissing my knuckles just as gently as I'd expected him to. "These days have been like hell to me, Julia. Don't ever do this to me again." My brow furrowed this time, my eyes quietly scanning his face.