Some broken people

Something -or rather someone- was missing and I somehow knew that even before opening my eyes. And then I did open them and discovered that the right side of the bed was empty indeed, the crumpled sheets still holding his smell -the only proof that he had been sleeping there. Because yes, after dinner, Gabriel took me back to his bedroom and we fell asleep next to eachother yet again. If I didn't know any better, I would've said that we were headed back to the way things used to be, but I did know better than that. Things couldn't have gone back to the way they were before, because I was no longer the person I used to be. That person was now rotting inside a dark little cell somewhere in one of Marco's hiding places.

A sigh slipped past my lips just as I stood up from the bed, my feet taking me straight to the massive, vintage wardrobe taking up an entire wall of the room. Jessie Ware's Say you love me was softly playing in the background and from what I could tell, the song was put on repeat. Opening one of the heavy doors, I discovered some of my clothes were neatly folded onto the shelves, the three dresses Maria had packed for me hanging heavy from the hangers. The one pair of high heeled Loubutins was carefully placed at the bottom of the wardrobe next to one pair of red Converse and some flats. And then I noticed the small handbag that supposedly held my papers and phone also hanging in front of me, my hand immediately reaching for it. Lila must have been worried sick about me and truth to be told, I couldn't wait to talk to her. 

The fact that my phone was no longer inside the purse didn't exactly come as a surprise to me. Honestly, I didn't really expect it to be. Gabriel had taken me to Italy, without my approval, he had given me a tattoo while I was being blissfuly unconscious and then made sure to keep me hostage inside his parent's Italian castle -because let's face it, I was perfectly aware of the fact that I was not a guest here. So stealing my damn phone was nothing compared to the rest of his actions. 

Running my eyes through the contents of my bag -which were all scattered on the bed now- I found the red wallet I kept my papers and money in, a smirk pulling at my lips while I reached for it. Opening the damn thing with trembling hands, I was relieved to discover that he'd forgotten about my golden American Express. Now I only hoped that my credit card was also available here, thousands of miles away from home. 

Grabbing some black shorts and a blue tank top with an open back, I hurried to put on my Converse and headed out the door. Because you know what? It was ok that he'd brought me here and I might've even gotten used to the damn tattoo he'd decided to give me, but I was not ok with being kept away from my friend. I was broken and Lila was the last damn thing that kept me sane. She was helping me keep it together and I needed her. So, either my murderer liked it or not, I was not gonna be stopped from talking to my fucking best friend. 

$$$

The four huge men, all wearing black suits and dark Ray Bans looked anything but approachable, their deep frowns slightly reminding me of Marco's men. How the hell was I supposed to ask them to open the gates for me to leave the the villa since I couldn't even find my words to greet the four bodyguards? Taking a deep breath, I tried to gather what was left of my courage and headed straight for the one in the middle. 

The blond man currently looking down at me seemed to be made of stone, his features harsh and yet handsome, his expression unreadable. Conjuring one of the sweetest smiles I could muster, I tried my hardest not to squirm under what I knew to be a scowl behind those shades of his. 

"Um... Hi!" The man didn't budge, his eyes still fixing me, the other three bodyguards waiting near the gate not even risking a glance in our direction. "Well, could you please tell me where I could get a cab from? I'm dying to visit the city, you know." After five other minutes of silence, I must admit that his impassiveness was really starting to get on my nerves, so I simply decided to cut it short. Taking a small step to the right while nonchallantly waving my hand, I threw another small smile at the blond man. "You know what? Just forget it. I'm sure you have better things to do than give me directions. If you just let me out, I'm sure I can find my way to a cab by myself." Yet that didn't seem to do the trick either. I was still stuck behind the gates of Mr and Mrs Shaffer's property with the four men still blatantly ignoring me.