Chapter 3: Tucker

These challenges that I've been participating in have been an excellent idea! because, not only do I have a minimum word count (which is more than what I usually write), but I end up writing a lot of unplanned stuff, that hopefully makes the characters more likable and brings them to life better than my original did. 

Anyways, let me know what y'all thought :)

Alex:

I could feel my mom's eyes watching me from the front window as I climbed onto the bus. I understood she was just worried about me, but I also felt weird knowing that the other kids on the bus could probably see the blinds moving. Or maybe they couldn't. The sky had taken on an overcast look since I'd gotten up that morning and I wouldn't be surprised if it were raining by the time we got to school.

I found an empty seat on the very back of the bus and gratefully dropped to sit by the window. I placed my backpack onto the seat next to me and stared out the window. I didn't want anyone engaging me in mindless chatter, so I refrained from looking at them.

A couple of stops later, my gaze skirted over a tall guy who was getting onto the bus. His jeans fit him well. They were slightly baggy without looking like they were barely hanging onto his butt. His dark blue t-shirt was tight, showing off a generous amount of muscle. His dark brown hair was spiked slightly on top and cut shorter on the sides.

He stepped onto the bus and his eyes drifted over the seats on the bus as he looked for somewhere to sit. He held a phone to his ear and his lips moved as he said something. His dark gaze settled on me and I felt myself swallow hard as he moved quickly down the aisle in my direction.

"Ry, I don't care. Someone fucked up my car and I want it taken up with the boss man..." His voice was deep and he wasn't talking very loudly, but I was still able to hear him over the noise on the bus when he was almost to my seat.

I closed my eyes and silently chanted, please don't sit here. Please don't sit here. Apparently my wish wasn't granted when his shadow suddenly fell over my seat. "Is this spot taken?" He asked.

I rubbed my cheeks as I felt them heat up and stared at him dumbly. "Uh... yes? No. No, it's not taken." I felt the heat move from just my cheeks to spread from the tips of my toes to the ends of my hair. Did I seriously just stutter like an idiot?

His lips twitched as if he were trying not to be amused. "I've never seen you around here. Are you new?"

I clamped my lips shut and nodded hastily. I didn't want to make a complete idiot of myself again. He wrinkled his nose a little and then gave it a small rub, as if it itched.

"I'm Tucker." I just continued to stare as he paused for a moment. "And you are?"

"Um, me?" It came out more of a squeak than I had intended, not that I'd intended to squeak at all. The heat flared back to life in my cheeks.

He chuckled softly, "Yeah, you."

I heard the person on the other end of his phone bark out, "Tucker, quit flirting! I need details on your car. You can flirt once I'm no longer on the line to hear it."

I saw his cheeks turn a little red before I turned to look back out the window. It was a little cute that he'd gotten embarrassed. His nose twitched again and her rubbed at it a little more aggressively.

I could still hear his hushed conversation. He seemed upset about his car, but his soft whisperings seemed more like a code than an actual conversation, since I knew next to nothing about cars. It wasn't long before he grew quiet, but I continued to stare out the window, hoping that he wouldn't attempt to engage me in a conversation again. I'd seen how well that went the first time.