Chapter 8: Conversation with Mom

This is really short and not overly exciting. lol.

"Mom! I'm home!" I shouted after I stepped through my front door. The bus ride had been uneventful compared to the craziness of school. I heard the blinds rattle as my mom stepped away from them and smiled at me.

            "Hey, Baby Girl. How was your first day of school?" she led me to the kitchen table and pulled out a chair. "Sit down and tell me all about it."

            I set my backpack down next to my chair and shrugged. "There isn't much to say. It was just school." I replied with a sigh.

            My mom moved to the stove to stir something in a large pot. "Come on, Sweetie. Talk to me."

            I shrugged thoughtfully. "I met a couple people who seem nice," I replied cautiously.

            "Oh?" she glanced up from what she was stirring.

            I attempted to change the subject by asking, "What are you making, Mom?"

             "Don't think you can change the subject, Young Lady. Now who are these people that you think are nice?" My mom turned her stern mom voice on.

            I shrugged, "Just some guys I met today."

            She paused for a moment, and then said, "Oh? Guys? As in... boys?"

            I shook my head, "Yes, mom. Boys." Was I not supposed to have male friends?

            My mom turned the stove off and poured the contents into a glass bowl, then grabbed some cut up strawberries and a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. She sat down next to me, and put a pair of plastic gloves on to keep her hands from getting messy. "So... tell me about these boys..." she looked at me with bright eyes as she dipped a strawberry in the chocolate and then put it on the wax paper.

            "What do you want to know about them?" I asked hesitantly.

            "Well, are they cute?" she asked, dipping another strawberry into the melted chocolate.

            I shrugged. "I guess so." Even though I was really close to my mom, I still felt weird telling her about guys. After all, she thought my dad was hot. I suppressed a shudder.

            She dipped another strawberry into the chocolate and blew a stray curl out of her eyes. "How many guys did you meet?"

            "Five." I replied in a small voice.

            "Five? My goodness, they don't waste any time here, do they?" I dipped a finger into the melted chocolate before my mom could swat at my hand. "Girl, you're just begging me to whoop your butt, aren't you?"

            I giggled at her playful tone as I licked the chocolate off of my finger. "What are these for?" I asked as I gestured towards the chocolate covered strawberries, trying to change the subject again.

            "You know very well that they're your birthday treat for tomorrow, now quit trying to change the subject. I want to know more about these boys!" She got up to put the strawberries in the fridge and grabbed another cookie sheet while she was up. "You know, you could invite these possibly handsome guys over for your birthday. I wouldn't mind."

            "You're a mom. Aren't you supposed to tell me that I'm never allowed to have boys over?" I asked in amusement.

            She looked at me seriously for a moment before replying, "Baby Girl, I know we moved right before your birthday. You haven't really had time to make friends, and I trust you. I'm okay with you inviting boys over, as long as your father or I are home and you ask first."

            I gave a small nod. I understood the trust she was putting in me and I didn't want to disappoint her. "Thank you, Mom. I wouldn't be comfortable inviting these boys over, though." I admitted. I mean, I'd just met them, so it seemed a little forward to think that they'd care about my birthday.

            My mom nodded, "Alright, Sweetie. Just know that the offer still stands. Just text me if you change your mind."

            I smiled and gave her a hug. "I'm going to go work on homework until dinner time, if that's okay."

            "Of course. We're having flash roasted crispy ranch chicken and rice tonight," she informed me as she finished dipping the last strawberry and the final cookie sheet in the fridge as well. "We'll be having barbeque cups tomorrow night." She added with a grin.

            I licked my lips, "Sounds amazing, mom. I can't wait." I turned and headed upstairs with my bag.