Chapter 14: The Truth

Rylan:

Seriously? Did my dad seriously just smile at Alex? My dad never smiles for anyone except my mom. I wasn't even sure what to do. I was about to say something when I turned to see the confusion on Alex's face. "Why don't we go up to my room to talk." I glanced around at the guys and Alex who were all watching me curiously.

After taking care of our dishes, everyone followed me upstairs. "Dude, your dad smiled at Alex!" Paris chuckled.

"I know. I have no idea what was up with that." I admitted.

"What do you mean?" She bit her lip in a way that I was beginning to understand meant that she was worried or uncertain about something.

I shook my head, "don't worry about it, Lexi. It's not that big of a deal. Apparently my dad just likes you or something."

Tucker snorted, "I thought your dad didn't really like anyone."

"The only person he really likes is my mom." I replied. I shrugged it off. I wasn't sure why my dad actually liked Lexi, but I had bigger things to worry about. I sat on my bed and pulled Lexi down after me. The weight of her leaning against me was comforting. I glanced at the others to see that they were situated comfortably around the room. "Lexi... What I have to tell you is a bit unbelievable..." I rubbed at the back of my neck, trying to figure out how to explain what she was.

Paris suddenly leaned forward and blurted out, "you're a coyote shifter."

"Seriously, Paris? You couldn't keep your mouth shut for another five minutes?" Cedric grunted out.

"He was taking forever to get to the point," Paris argued back.

I glanced down at Lexi to see how she was taking the news. She looked even more confused than before. "What are you talking about?"

I sighed, but hurried to speak before one of the others could beat me to it. "You're a coyote shifter."

She started to speak, probably to tell me that I was crazy, but Paris beat her to it. "Can I show her? Please?"

Why me? I looked up at the ceiling and rolled my eyes. "Yes, Paris. You may."

Paris grinned, "Awesome!"

ALEX:

I glanced around in confusion. I had no idea what they were talking about. They were going to prove that I was some sort of dog? That just seemed weird to me, and a little insulting.

Paris stepped to the center of the room. He shoved the desk chair closer to the desk. I scooted back further onto the bed. I had no idea what was going on, but Paris' eyes glowed briefly before a wolf was suddenly standing in his place. The transformation was over so quickly that my eyes didn't seem to register it. My breath caught in my throat as he ambled over to me slowly. His body was huge and I didn't know whether to scream or touch him to see if this was real.

Rylan wrapped his arms around me to keep me still. "You're okay, Lexi. He won't hurt you." My eyes widened when he stepped close enough to headbutt my chest. I had thought he was huge before, but now that he was a wolf, I understood why he was so big. He was taller than me while I sat on the bed. He was black with a white stripe that started on his chin and disappeared under his belly. His ears perked up and his thick tail swung from side to side in, what I assumed was happiness.

I hesitantly reached my fingers out, my curiosity getting the better of me. Paris pushed his head against my open palm and then hopped onto the bed. "Paris, get off my bed!" Rylan chastised him. The bed dipped heavily where he put weight on it, and he didn't list to Rylan at all as he settled down next to us.