Chapter 25: Voices

A/N - Sorry about the long wait. I kinda like this chapter, and it even moves the plot forward a bit. :D Enjoy!

Alex:

Yawning, I stepped through the front door to Rylan's house. I carried a bag through the house, stopping to glance out a window and towards the woods. A small shudder raced down my spine, making my breath catch. Wherever my parents were, I hoped that they were okay. Being here had been a huge distraction, but every time I stopped to think about my parents, I felt torn between racing out to search for them and curling up in a helpless ball to cry.

My attention turned back to the stairs as I headed to the room I was partially occupying. Rylan probably wouldn't want all of this in his own closet, so even though I wasn't sleeping in this room, I figured I'd store my things in here.

As I slowly and cautiously twisted the doorknob, something made me pause. Stop. Something isn't right.

Rylan:

On my way upstairs, I stopped to check in with my dad. Once I had let him know we were back, I followed Lexi upstairs. Stopping at the top of the stairs, I sniffed. Was that...? Shit! The bags I'd been holding dropped to the ground as I raced down the hallway. "Lexi!" My shout carried down the hallway, making her spin to look at me. Even from here, I could see that she was shaking.

"Rylan?" Her voice was whisper soft. If I'd been human, I wouldn't have heard it. I reached her, pulling her into my arms.

"What's wrong?"

She hesitantly wrapped her arms around my waist. "I don't know. Something's wrong. Something doesn't feel right about going in there..." She trailed off, not really certain how to explain it.

Paris and Tucker stood at the top of the stairs. Tucker raised a brow, silently asking if he should check it out. Before I could tell him to go ahead, Kane shoved between the two taller guys. "What's going on?"

Lexi glanced at her bedroom door, whimpering.

"Go check it out." Nodding my head, I gestured for all four of the others to go investigate. Part of me wanted to go with them to make sure there wasn't a threat, but she needed someone to stay with her.

Within minutes of the guys disappearing into Lexi's bedroom, growling shook the walls. Heaving a deep sigh, I pulled Lexi closer. How the fuck did someone get into her room not once, but twice?

Lexi's eyes were huge as she looked up at me. "You're okay, Lex," I whispered as the sound of footsteps pounding up the stairs met my ears.

My dad stepped onto the landing. "What's going on?"

"Another intruder." I nodded my head towards Lexi's doorway, silently letting him know that the scuffle was taking place in Lexi's room.

"Take her to your room and stay with her," he commanded as he seamlessly shifted into a large, white wolf.

Lexi gasped, but I tugged her into my room before she could say anything. "Are you okay?" I waited until we were behind my closed door before asking the question.

She started to nod, but then shook her head. "I can't seem to stop shaking, and..." She trailed off, looking at the rug under her feet.

"And what?" I tilted her chin up so that I could see her face.

"You'll think I'm crazy," she whispered back. Her blue eyes searched mine, silently asking me to disagree with her.

"I highly doubt that anything you could tell me would make me think that." I chuckled and brushed a strand of her hair out of her face.

"I heard a voice telling me not to enter the room..."

"What aren't you telling me?" I asked as her voice trailed off once more.

"I really wanted to shift. I told the voice no before it could happen."

I blinked. That wasn't normal for werewolf, but maybe it was for a coyote. I hadn't finished reading through that book my dad had given me, but maybe there was something in there about voices. Torn between searching the book and holding Lexi, I couldn't force myself to move away. I glanced down at her, looking so vulnerable and afraid, and I couldn't stop myself. Her eyes widened even further as I lowered my head.

Alex:

My breath left in a rush as Rylan slowly lowered his head, brushing his lips against my own. His breath warmed my cheek as he backed me into the wall next to the door, gently biting my bottom lip. I couldn't stop myself from winding my arms around his neck as he pulled me closer to his body. His lips trailed down my cheek and neck as he stopped to nip at my collarbone. My body seemed to have a mind of its own as I arched my back, pushing our hips even closer together. He whispered something against my skin that I couldn't seem to comprehend.

Before I could ask any questions, the door burst open, revealing a shirtless Paris. He glanced at us as he closed the door. "Your dad is taking him down to the dungeon. Kane got bit, Cedric got clawed, and Tucker is taking them both downstairs to see the shaman." Paris sank down on the bed, scrubbing a hand through his hair.

Rylan let go of my hips nonchalantly and sat next to him. "Was it someone we recognize?"

After a brief silence, Paris nodded. "Yeah. That weird guy from school."

Rylan's brows furrowed, "The guy who tried to claim Lexi during lunch one day?"

Paris nodded again. "He said something about Lexi being his..." He trailed off, shrugging a shoulder.

I was having trouble following their conversation. It didn't seem like Paris really cared that I'd been kissing Rylan. Maybe Paris didn't like me in that way, but shouldn't he have at least been upset that we were... while we should have been... I sighed, making both of them look up at me in surprise.

"Are you okay?" Paris questioned. At my nod, he continued, "Do you know anything about being claimed?"

I shook my head. "No. I wouldn't have been..." I gestured with a hand towards Rylan as my cheeks heated up. I was just as confused as they were about the guy from school.

Rylan beckoned for me to sit between him and Paris on the bed, which I did. I suddenly felt shy around them both. What had that kiss meant? I didn't even know what to think, now.

We sat in silence for a while before Rylan suddenly asked, "You said it was some sort of voice that kept you from entering your room?"

I nodded once, sighing. Why couldn't my life be normal and easy?

"s�g�'/�i