Fragment Seventeen

She ignored his remark and turned on her heels to walk to the other side of the train, but she felt as if her dignity had stepped outside her body and pushed her back to Jeremy.

           "I think I deserve some damn respect from you, Jeremy," she said, and her dignity stepped back inside. She sensed her nostrils beginning to flare as she out a hand on the table. "I hate the way you talk to me; I seriously hate it. If you don't want to tell me what had happened seven years ago or about what the hell caused the divorce then fine, but I am just sick and tired of you talking down to me and treating me like sh-" she paused and covered her lips as she realized the eyes of the passengers were all on her. She rolled her eyes and walked away from the table and dug her fingernails in her palms. 

            She marched down the train to the bar station at the end of the Business section, where a small counter had been set up with red leather stools in front of it. She sat on an empty stool and wiped her face. "I'd like something strong, please," she said as put up her hair in a messy bun. "And a cheese Panini," she added.

          The young bartender cocked his brow at her request, "Um, I'm sorry but we don't serve alcohol before twelve PM."

           "What time is it now?" she asked as she looked at her watch which she had set on New York time.

          "It's nine thirty AM," he replied, pointing to the clock on top of the shelf of drinks.

           She sighed. "What if I show you a VIP paper?" she hopelessly said, hoping it'd come off as a joke. He half-smiled and shook his head. Jessica read his nametag, Mike.

            "If it helps your Panini will be done in a minute," he replied. 

           "Thanks," she said as she pulled out a five from her purse. "Oh, and a bottle of water, please," she said with a sigh. 

            "Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?" Michael asked as he pulled out a chilled bottle of water from the small cooler in a cupboard. 

          "New York," Jessica said as she eyed a Jack Daniels from the upper shelf of the bar.

         "The city?" Mike asked as his brown eyes grew in interest.

       "Yep," Jessica replied with a shrug.

       "Well what brings you here?" he asked as he carefully took out the hot Panini from the toaster.

        Jessica shrugged again. "Business," she said casually. He placed the Panini in a paper bag along with a couple of napkins.

       "I've never heard of people coming here from New York for business. It's usually the other way around," he said as he folded his arms on the counter in front of Jessica. She could see a small hint of a  dimple behind his light stubble; he could've been a very handsome man if it weren't for his messy teeth.

         "Me neither, to be honest," Jessica agreed. She could sense Mike rest his eyes on her as she nervously tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear as she grew uncomfortable under his gaze. She placed her hand on her paper bag and Mike placed his hand on hers. 

          "I'm sorry, I didn't get to know your name," he said with a smile.

          Jessica paused as she brushed her hand away from his and snatched the paper bag and water bottle from the counter. "Holly,"  she lied as she stood up from the stool. "I-I'm sorry, I have to go," she said with a nervous smile.    

           "Jessica," she heard Jeremy call out. She pressed her eyes tight and bit her lip as she felt her body flushed in embarrassment. She turned away from the confused bartender and towards her colleague.