Fragment Eighteen

I don't want to nag but I do appreciate votes and comments! Thank you  to everyone who is reading this story up till now! :p The end is kind of far away, but I'll be trapped in my room for three weeks abroad so I'll try to update as much as I can! 

"Jessica? Jessica?" 

     Jessica moaned under her breath as she drew her eyes up heavily. Her eyebrows knitted together as she massaged her neck from the stiffness due to falling asleep with her head on the window. 

   "Are we there yet?" she asked Jeremy, who was now standing in the middle of the narrow passageway, as she looked outside the window of the stopped train. She tried squinting to read the sign of the station but her eyes hadn't adapted to the natural and artificial light jabbing at her. 

    "Yes," he curtly said, as he retreated back to his seat once his job of waking his colleague up was finished. She straightened herself in her seat and pulled herself up together, shaking off the antsy feeling in her legs. She straightened out her blouse as she looked around the car of the train and realized that they were all alone, and they were the last passengers to leave.

      "Where's our luggage?" she asked him in her regular volume as she crossed the strap of the purse over her. 

      "It's going to be taken care of, the driver is waiting for us outside to get us to the inn. The other driver will follow shortly with our luggage," Jeremy said as he stepped in front of the automatic doors of the train, and soon enough Jessica stepped beside him as she freed her trapped hair between her body and the strap. 

     The doors opened immediately and Jeremy stepped out first as Jessica followed. She looked around and shielded the sun from her eyes; she looked around and realized they were the only ones on the platform, apart from a man in his mid fifties in a suit shaking Jeremy's hand. 

       "Good morning, Madame," the man said as soon as Jessica locked eyes with him. She smiled and shook his hand, noticing the small scar on his chin.

       "My name is Smith, I'll be your driver for the moment. My colleague, Hank, will arrive after us shortly with your luggage. I hope it's not an inconvenience," he said with a smile, as the wrinkles surrounding his eyes stretched, giving him a friendly aura.

      She smiled back with a nod. "Not at all, Smith," she said.

    The pair followed Smith out of the platform and into the station, where they only saw three passengers at the ticket counter. A small sign saying Welcome to Clarksville was located by the exit doors of the station, that was even a fraction of the station back in Little Rock. 

      "There aren't many people here in Clarksville, are there, Smith?" Jessica asked at she knitted her eyes at the unfamiliar sense of emptiness. 

        "No, there aren't many, Madame. They're all friendly, however," he said as he slowed his pace down to match hers.

        "So they all know each other?" Jessica said, wondering if the traits of the perfect small towns she'd seen in movies were actually true.

         Smith looked around as he searched for the appropriate answer. "I don't believe so, no."

       He nodded at the security guard outside the Clarksville station and opened the door of the limousine for the pair. Jessica glanced around the area, unfamiliar with the sudden paradigm shift. What she was used to seeing was a noisy, rambunctious city filled with people to the brim, was now replaced by a rather terrifically calm area with an alarming low number of people.