Part Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Nicole was having a bad day; once again Vincent had started to influence one of her important clients. She was about to lose another big account, and she wasn't sure that her job could survive that. Losing her job was a terrifying thought, she had no idea what else she could do, and she needed the income now more than ever. She had thought to keep her marital home, buying Vincent out was a viable option, but suddenly that was looking doubtful. Yet another thing she had no control over.

Smiling at the barista, she ordered two coffees, and selected a bean chilli wrap. Paying for it, she took the tray and headed outside for Maxim and his little dog. She hadn't known what to think when she literally bumped into him, but a chat with him seemed like a great distraction.

When she emerged out into the sunshine, he jumped up and took it from her. And as he unloaded the drinks, she lowered herself into a seat opposite him.

"Sorry, I'm not carrying any money," he offered a little awkwardly.

Nicole smiled as his embarrassment, "it's the least I can do after last weekend."

He waved his hand, "you make out that I did something amazing. I made sure you were ok. That's all."

She nibbled at her wrap, then realised he was watching her, "it's on your list...beans...no cheese, fat, sugar or enjoyment!"

That made him smile, and she liked that, "it's not meant to feel like torture."

"I like Pringles...and cheese...and pasta."

Again he grinned, "but you want to be healthy, fit?"

Nodding she leaned forward, "but I still want to have fun in my life."

"If food is your only fun then you need more than a few sessions at the gym."

She blushed, shame washing over her, because that is exactly what her life had become. Desperation and depression had been her war for the last six months and she'd eaten her way through it. As if he sensed her thoughts he chuckled, "saying that, I do love a doughnut...it's like my secret vice."

"And you're allowed to have them?"

The look that crossed his face was pure sinful as he nodded, "everyone deserves a treat."

She felt a little less greedy as she ate the rest of the wrap a lot slower and more elegantly than she would have.

"You looked a bit troubled earlier."

She groaned, "ever felt as though the rug you're standing on is literally being pulled from under you?"

He nodded, "the last year every day."

She sighed, "I work in a high powered job, it wouldn't be worth their while employing me if I'm not being pushed, not stressed."

"Maybe our session tomorrow will be just what you need?"

Nicole wanted to groan out loud, but held it in, "the thought of it makes me want to cry...but I know I'll feel a million times better afterwards."

Maxim's face erupted into a smile, "that is something I never thought I'd hear."

She reached for her coffee cup and cradled it in her hands, watching him for a moment, "I enjoy the boxing. Though it murders me for a day or two afterwards."

He was quiet for a moment, then added, "I've never known anyone be as committed as you. Not in these circumstances. I have trained lots with athletes, and they HAVE to work, it's part of their lifestyle, their job."