Part Fifty One

Chapter Fifty One

Max didn't think he'd sleep, but he was staggering trying to stay standing. So taking Kim's instruction, he climbed the stairs and collapsed onto the bed there.

When he opened his eyes his watch indicated that it was after two pm. He'd been asleep for almost five hours. He wanted to jump to his feet and march out of the house to find Nicole. But every inch of his body ached, he couldn't remember feeling this exhausted in a long time. Instead he freshened up in the en suite bathroom as best he could, then made his way downstairs.

He found Kim sat on the floor in the lounge, Noah lying on his back next to her, gurgling excitedly as she tickled him.

"Hey you're awake. Do you want something to eat?"

He shook his head, "I need to find her."

Kim stepped in front of him, "think it over for a moment. You look like death, Nicole told me you two talked a lot last night. She needs a little time to process everything, and so do you. Did you sleep last night?"

He shook his head, "I'm chin height in shit at the moment Kim, that's why I need to see her now..."

Again she shook her head, "she's not something to be squeezed in where you can fit her. Don't you see that?"

"She's having my baby!" He shouted the words then grimaced as the baby flinched and started to cry. Kim returned to the baby and picked him up, soothing him for a moment.

"Do you really think this is the ideal mental state to go see her, to make your plea? You might think I'm defending her, protecting her...but she loves you, she's having your baby. If you two can work then I want that to happen. But I can't watch you screw up, break her all over again. Have something to eat, then let me call her, plan what happens next."

He wanted to scream, but the one thing that she'd said that was right, was that he wasn't in the right state of mind to go see Nicole. He was volatile, his outburst had proven that.

With the most subtle of nods he agreed with her plan, then reached out to tickle Noah, his eyes were still laden with tears, but he smiled at Max's attempt to make up and that made Kim smile.

"Here, take him whilst I make you some pasta. OK?"

Ten minutes later they were sat opposite each other at the kitchen table, a steaming bowl of some delicious smelling pasta in front of him.

"So she filled you in on last night?"

Kim shrugged, "she told me that your father was a bastard and ruined lives, including yours."

He grunted, "evil bastard more like it. But I am discovering more crime, depravity, despicable behaviour with every day that passes."

Her eyes widened, "but none of that is your responsibility."

Before almost inhaling some pasta, he replied, "I have to make it right. You have no idea."

Leaning back in her seat she studied him for a moment, "if I believe all that you told her, he made you leave her, he made you move away; on top of ruining your career...you've been punished enough."

"If I can undo some of his bad then I will."

"That's very commendable of you, but don't let avenging his crimes cut even more of what you want out of your life."

He laughed dryly, "you're very astute."

Kim watched him eat for a moment, then responded, "she missed you more than I ever thought possible."