Part Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five

The whole night had seemed like a nightmare. From her home she'd been taken to the police station like a common criminal, no amount of protest from her or Maxim had changed that. She had no idea what sort of story Vincent had concocted, but he had ensured that was treated abysmally. She told Maxim to leave her at the station, but he had refused, sitting in the reception waiting.

She was shown to a room, and then pictures of Vincent had been placed in front of her. He had at most a bruise to his cheek. But the way that the two officers were talking; she was being accused of serious assault. It was like a bad dream.

After forty minutes a man barged into the room, it wasn't anyone that she'd met before, but the officers knew him, looked intimidated.

"She's entitled to representation." The tall middle aged man turned to her, "I'm Ernest Malcolm, I'm your lawyer."

As he sat beside her, the two officers stared at him, so he continued, "so Miss Stark punched her ex husband after prolonged and extreme provocation to stop him from hurting her and threatening her. She clearly has the bruises." He almost telepathically lifted her wrist to display them, "he is at least six inches taller and fifty pounds heavier," he looked her up and down, "make that eighty pounds."

He leaned forward propped on his elbows and grinned manically, "so why the hell are we here?"

Nicole was confused, she looked from the two officers who were shaking their head, to the man beside her, how the hell did he know everything about her...AND Vincent? She'd never seen him before in her life. She was staring at him when he turned in her direction and grinned at her too.

Slumping back in her seat she allowed him to take up the argument, after all he was in pole position; the two officers were looking rather green.

"Do I need to see your superior?" He exuded confidence and charm, "no. That's not a question. I WANT to see your superior, because maybe I'm sure they can shed some light on to why an abused woman has been treated like a high risk felon for lashing out in self defence."

She wanted to jump forward and scream, "YES, that is exactly what happened..." But he clearly didn't need her help. So she folded her arms as the two officers squirmed further.

Ernest turned to the mirror to the right of them, "do you understand what I am saying DI Kane?"

Again both officers shuddered, and for the first time Nicole relaxed, and watched the drama unfold.

Within moments a door opened and the two officers escaped, at that moment, Ernest turned to her, "Nice to meet you Nicole, can I call you that?" When she nodded rather mutely, he chuckled, "you've got quite the fan club!"

As she started to ask what the hell he was talking about, the door opened and a woman probably in her mid forties stood in the doorway, glaring at them both.

"Ah DI Kane, what a pleasure. Shall I introduce you to Miss Nicole Stark? But then I have a feeling you already know who she is...as more than just a detainee. Now do you want this conversation in front of her...or alone?"

As she opened the door directing him into the corridor, her eyes never left Nicole's.

Within moments the two officers came back into the room, "we've got enough information. You're free to go."

"Free to go?" She jumped to her feet. "You came into my house five hours ago and have accused me of being some sort of aggressive criminal. Now I'm free to go?"

Without replying, they flanked the exit, so she added, "I'd say you'd hear from my lawyer, but I guess that's ALREADY happening."

As she waltzed out of the room she felt a million dollars. Until she hit the waiting room, and sat there in adjacent seats were Kim - not on bed rest as she should be, Mike and of course Maxim.