Part Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The ballroom was bathed in half light, black drapes surrounding the room, and fairy lights were the only illumination. More than twenty round tables flanked a dance floor, each decorated with fresh flowers and crystal. The whole place was a sparkling wonderland.

Nicole was entranced, pausing she looked up at Maxim, his eyes were scanning the room rather industriously, but he sensed her looking up at him and immediately smiled down at her.

"There's a seating plan over there." He gestured to a huge black board where dozens of names were written in ornate script.

"Later," she snuggled into the curve of his arm that was still wrapped around her protectively. "I'm feeling like a drink."

Grinning he called over one of the wait staff who carried a tray of champagne flutes, and took one for Nicole, "can I get a vodka please?"

The young man nodded and disappeared as Nicole took the glass he handed her, "why thank you."

She had this plastered on smile, she knew, but that kiss...it needed analysing, it needed thinking about, and it needed remembering.

A waitress approached carrying a glass of vodka and Maxim took it gratefully, then returned his attention to her.

"So is your boss here?"

Every time he stooped, put his lips to her ear to talk, she came out in goosebumps, and it was a long moment before she could reply. Then as they were, secreted off to the side of the room, she proceeded to point out the important people in the room. It wasn't full, but the place was bustling with people talking, glasses clinking, and a background of music that she couldn't quite make out. It was intimate, special and she felt weak kneed.

"An interesting bunch of people, any sign of the ex?"

Before she could reply, her boss approached, and the next hour was spent introducing Maxim to her co-workers and acquaintances, and it was the chime of a bell in the centre of the room announcing dinner that saw everyone scurry in to the dining room and take their seats.

"I need the bathroom," she leaned in and whispered in his ear. "Can you find our table?"

He nodded, "don't be long!"

The bathrooms were along a corridor to the left of the room, and she entered quickly, then took over a cubicle, sitting on the closed toilet seat, she pulled out her phone and called Kim.

"He kissed me!" She said as soon as her friend answered.

"WHAT? How was it? Tell me more!"

Nicole sighed, "he said he wanted me to be relaxed, that I should feel appreciated, desired...then he kissed me. And I swear I almost keeled over."

"That good?"

Nicole chuckled, "it was just what the doctor ordered. I just wish that Vincent had seen it. That would have been perfect."

"I wish you'd just close that door Nicole, he doesn't deserve you, he never did."

She sighed, "don't lecture me, please. I just need to get through tonight."

"You going to kiss him again?" she asked.

"No, but I will enjoy the memory of the last one."

Kim groaned, "for god's sake woman, you are young, free and deserve some fun for a change, if a hot...make that VERY hot man wants to kiss you, and it's that dramatic...then you're a mug to turn it down. That's what I think."