Part Fifty Two

A/N As most of you might be aware, I did post a rather snappy response on the last chapter to a comment. But I would like to say, and I may post something similar on every story I write from now on. This comment was linked to the length of time it took me to post...or rather that I should have posted more.

I am a working mother, running a home and a family. Writing is my passion, but I can only write when I have the time, which is sometimes more often than others. I post as frequently as possible. This means that often I haven't proof read what I've written so there will be the odd he instead of she, him instead of her...things that a spell check won't pick up. People like to correct these, along with what they perceive as incorrect words, which are usually very British terms. Most of my characters are British, they wouldn't use Americanised words, so please think twice before correcting me.

I have no real issue with people correcting these errors, if they really are errors, but usually the people who do this make no other comment, good or bad and that annoys me. I am an amateur at this. I have no editor or publisher to correct things, and to be honest if I did none of you would be reading this for free.

This site is amazing, offering free stories to anyone with access to the internet,  but please think about the authors...they offer their time and effort for free. If you don't like a story STOP reading, constructive criticism is fine, but nasty or cutting comments, or unnecessary corrections, well they can be hurtful, because if I post 100,000 words and the only comment you have to make on the whole story is to point out the use of them instead of then , frankly I'd rather you kept it to yourself.

As I say these readers are few and far between, most of you give joyous comments, and I love seeing your reactions in writing.  So please don't think that I'm criticising you all, the comments I receive are EVERYTHING to me.

Thanks for listening to or rather reading my rant, but it's been brewing for a LONG time.    MZxxx

Chapter Fifty Two

Almost midnight and she was still outside, by now wrapped in a blanket watching the stars, almost surreal as she sat, in almost suspended animation. And then it came. The knock at the door. Nicole knew that only one person was going to knock her door, she just had no idea when that was going to be. Glancing at her phone, she saw the time, twelve thirteen.

Sighing she pulled herself to her feet, it was colder than she'd appreciated, but then it was the depth of winter. She really should be inside, looking after herself.

His shadow dominated the glass portion of the door as she walked along the hallway towards him. She felt nervous, tense, but as she opened the door, they fell away. If she'd thought that Maxim had looked tired, exhausted, pale, the day before...well that was nothing to how he looked now. She'd never seen him look so tired, so defeated, so broken almost. Her heart softened, but she gritted her teeth, she wasn't about to roll over in sympathy and pretend that everything was ok.

"You look awful."

The words burst out before she had chance to think about it, to process them. The corners of his lips turned up into a smile that never reached his eyes.

"It's been a very strange few days."

She stepped back, "come in. Before you fall down."

His smile this time was almost full, "I'm mentally tired, your friend Kim made sure that I've slept and eaten."

"She's a good egg, that girl."

He nodded then followed as she led him into the kitchen, "she is both caring and a devout protector of your emotions; it was a mixed reception at her home."