Part Fifty Nine

Chapter Fifty Nine

He'd wanted a response, any response, but the last he expected was tears. Happiness - yes, anger maybe, but the response he'd hoped for was arms wrapping around him and being smothered in kisses.

But he had tears.

"All I seem to be doing is crying on you." Nicole stared up at him through her streams of tears, "I'm sorry."

He smiled, reaching out to cup her cheek, his thumb swiping at the track of her tear, "I'm getting used to that, I think."

She gave a sniffly smile, "sorry."

"Don't apologise."

Nodding, she swiped at her own tears, "I just don't know what to say."

"I didn't mean to overwhelm you; I just need you to know that I'm serious."

Again she nodded, "I'm kind of getting that."

He knew that this was a tense moment, and instead of pushing her, taking it further, he stood up and offered her his hand.

"Dinner, no more talking on an empty stomach. Ok?"

Dinner was amazing, local specialities cachupa rica a stew of sweet potato, manioc root and vegetables with the most tender beef. It was hearty, and more than she could manage, but that with sparkling water and tropical fruit salad was a meal she enjoyed.

Maxim had a huge piece of steak, which he almost moaned eating. They once again kept their conversations neutral, talking about the plans for the following day. Maxim had lined up a catamaran to take them along the coast, but the way that Nicole was feeling, tired, yet relaxed, she wasn't in a rush to travel too far. So he pencilled that in for later in the week.

"So a day on the beach then?"

She grinned, "that sounds bliss." And it did, the white sand, under the shade of an umbrella, secretly feasting on the delightful of the beautiful man sat opposite her.

He stood, nodding his appreciation to the waiter, then offered her a hand. "A paddle in the sea?"

It was a warm evening, and the thought of dipping her toes into the cool sea suddenly was very appealing.

"Sounds amazing."

As they reached the edge of the beach, she kicked off her sandals, then negotiated her way across the uneven, cool sand; she had to admit that there was something so therapeutic about sand running through her toes. But as she reached the water she gasped.

"Ooh, it's cooler than I expected."

Grinning, she could see his white teeth reflected by moonlight. At the end of the beach, away from the hotel buildings, he led her to two adjacent sun beds, and they lay side by side looking up to the dark night sky.

"Wow, there are like a gazillion more stars here."

He chuckled, "you're right. Light pollution...ruins it."

It appeared that Maxim was quite knowledgeable about stars, constellations and planets. She was never convinced that she saw everything that he pointed out, but soon, he was squeezed on to the same lounger as her, using his arm as a sight, his head alongside hers. Suddenly the presence, his warmth, his smell...she was too busy leaning against him, appreciating his closeness.