Chapter 5

As I walked back home and the thrill of that moment began to wear off, I started freaking out. What had she done? What had I done? Killian loved Emma, and although he would never be worthy of her, he was the closest anyone would ever get. Knowing what happened last time he lost love...I didn't want to know what would happen if he lost Emma.

And what about me? What about Robin? I groaned. This would kill him. He just moved in with me! How could I do this to him now? And to Roland? They'd already lost a wife and a mother; how could I do that to them again? I knew what I had to do; I had to tell Emma that this would not work and that I needed her to just be my friend. Then never speak of it again.

But when I thought about the way she held me, the feel of her hands on my back, the warmth oh her lips on mine...I felt something I knew I shouldn't deep in the pit of my stomach. I was exhilarated and horrified and excited and nervous all at the same time. All of these conflicting emotions made me dizzy, and I had to lean up against a building to steady myself.

"Is everything alright, Regina?" a familiar voice asked. I looked up, and saw Archie approaching with his little black umbrella he always carried and his Dalmatian, Pongo.

"I'm fine," I replied. "Just...got a little dizzy."

He looked at me carefully. "You don't look fine," he said. "Do you need to talk?"

"If and when I need a therapy session, I'll give you a call," I snapped. "Until then, please just stay out of my business, bug."

"Alright," he said, putting his hands up defensively. "Just let me know if you ever need anything." Then he took Pongo and walked around me towards his office. I needed Robin. Now.

I pushed myself off the wall and looked up to see where I was. The sign to the library loomed over me. I took a couple of steps, and the faded-red top of the clock tower came into view. I read the time: 10:15. Wow. I really needed to get home.

As soon as I got home Roland ran down the hallway and threw his arms around me. "Regina! I'm so happy you're home. I was worried about you, when Daddy came home by himself. Is Emma okay?"

I crouched down and hugged him tighter. "Thank you, Roland. And, yes, Emma's going to be okay." I looked up over Roland's shoulder, and Robin was leaning up against the wall, watching us. I pulled away from Roland and walked towards Robin. As soon as I reached him I hugged him and held on like he was the only thing holding me together. Honestly, he probably was.

"Regina, are you okay?" he asked, concerned.

"Yeah, just worried about Emma."

"Well, what happened."

"She...she refused Hook."

"Oh." Robin was immediately understanding. "Do you know why?"

I immediately felt the crashing weight of guilt and panic. Should I tell him? Should I keep it a secret? What would he do? What would he say? Would he be disappointed? Would he leave me? Would he go after Emma?

I knew that I should tell him. I knew that I had to tell him. That was the right thing to do, right?

"Regina?"

"Sorry, what?" I said, pulled out of my train of thought.

"Why did Emma refuse Hook?"

"Um...she didn't say."

He looked at me skeptically. "Really?"

"Uh-huh," I replied, trying not to let my voice crack.

"But...Regina, you're her best friend. Surely she told you something."

"No. I tried, Robin, but I could get anything out of her. She just told me that she had said no."

Robin took my hands and squeezed them comfortingly. "I'm sorry. This must be really hard on you. But I promise that I will be here for you; I know you can help her figure out what her heart says." Then he pulled me in and held me. His strong arms supported me, and his fingers slowly caressed my back and wound in my hair. I leaned against his shoulder and sighed. Moments like that....those were the moments I looked back on and treasured the most.

But that didn't stop me from tossing and turning all night long. Every time I closed my eyes I saw Emma: her golden hair, her green eyes, her rare and delicate smile. And one question nagged at me like an itch I couldn't quite reach: Why didn't I just tell Robin the truth? I'm sure he would have understood. After all, it was one-sided...right?

I shook off my doubt. Of course it was one-sided! I loved Robin; even pixie dust said that he was my happy ending, and I wasn't going to spoil it now. I resolved to talk to Emma the next day and stop this whole thing before it became serious, and I slept.