Chapter 9

"Regina, are you okay?"

The voice shook me out of my reverie. "Yeah, sorry. Just...lost in thought, I guess."

Robin nodded. "Well, I just asked if you could take care of Roland tonight; the boys want to have a get-together. Little John asked if I could join them."

"Oh. Sure," I agreed. I smiled at him, then resumed looking out the window.

It had been two weeks since Spencer's threat, but it definitely still worried me. Emma and I started having lunch at Granny's almost every single day, and she had been making frequent visits to the office. We never went as far as we did that first stormy night, but we certainly weren't discussing problems at the sheriff's station. I still felt guilty after every single meeting, but she just made me feel so...alive. She already knew everything about me; all the things I'd done, all the people I'd hurt, and she still looked at me with so much trust and acceptance; I didn't have to be anyone else but myself when I was around her.

However, I was still in love with Robin; I couldn't deny that. He was so kind and generous and brave; I could always count on him. Not to mention Roland, who was just the sweetest little boy. They both brought so much joy in my life when I felt like that part of my life was behind me. After all they had done for me, how could I abandon them?

"Regina!" Robin nearly shouted, shaking my shoulder.

"What?" I asked, disoriented.

"We're home." He looked at me, concern in his eyes. "Are you sure you're alright? You seem...distracted."

"Yes, I'm fine," I assured him. "I'm just a little tired."

He nodded, believing me. "Well, maybe you should get some rest before I drop Roland off."

"Yes...I think I will. Thank you, Robin."

He smiled, and leaned in to kiss me. It was sweet and loving. However, it lacked the passion that we had once had...the passion that Emma's kiss had now. When he pulled away a charming smile spread across his face. I automatically smiled in return, but my thoughts were a jumbled mess of emotions. I got out of the car quickly so he wouldn't read my emotions on my face. I waved at him as he drove off, and walked into the house. I had hardly stepped into the living room before I crumpled onto the couch. I kicked off my shoes and laid my head back. I started drifting to sleep. A few minutes later, however, I heard noises coming from the next room. I bolted up, heart pounding in my chest. Who was in my house? Or...what? Then I heard footsteps coming towards me. I tensed, ready to defend myself.

"Regina?" A voice called out. I sighed in relief.

"Damn it, Emma, you scared the hell out of me!"

Emma emerged from around the corner and smiled sheepishly. "I'm sorry, Regina. Didn't want to come in the front door." She continued walking towards me.

I shook my head, stood up, and met her in the middle of the room. Immediately she put her hand up to my face and pulled me into a kiss. Her other arm wrapped itself around my waist, pulling me even closer. I threaded my fingers through her soft hair, wrapping my arms around her neck. She took a step towards me, and our feet became entangled and we tripped, falling In a laughing heap on the couch with her lying on top of me. We kissed like that for a couple of minutes, until I broke it. We laid there for a second, breathing heavily.

"We have to stop meeting like this," I said.

"Agreed," said Emma. Then she pulled away and sat up; I could see the wheels turning in her head. "I want to take you somewhere: just you and me."

"We eat at Granny's together all the time," I said jokingly, sitting up as well.

"True, but I want to take you somewhere special one night." She thought for a moment. "Are you busy tonight?"

"Yes, actually," I replied. "I am watching Roland while Robin is having a boy's night."

She nodded. "I understand." Then her face lit up. "I have an idea! Henry and I aren't busy tonight, and Roland loves Henry; what if we took the boys to do something? Just the four of us?"

"That's a great idea! It certainly beats just sitting around the house." Then I frowned. "What would we do?"

"Hmm." Emma thought. "I don't know. I'll ask Henry if he has any ideas when I get home."

"Alright," I said smiling.

Emma drummed her fingers on the arm of the couch, her pink lips pursed slightly. "So...when are Robin & Roland coming home?"

I checked the wall clock. "About half an hour probably."

She nodded, a sly grin forming across her face. "So, that means we have a good 15 minutes to ourselves..." She leaned in towards me, a mischievous glint in her eye.

My grin widened, and I closed the distance between us.