Chapter 20

We all met in front of the church at 8:30 that evening. The sun was in its way down to the horizon, and cast a golden light over all of Storybrooke. Mother Superior and Tinkerbell were there, along with the Charmings. Robin and Emma stood about five feet in front of me, looking down at the floor awkwardly. I couldn't blame them.

I walked towards them; I felt like I needed to say something to them. I turned first to Emma, whose hair looked like it was spun from gold in the sunlight.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly. "I never wanted this. I never wanted to hurt you."

"It's alright Regina," she said, looking up at me. "This is my fault. I shouldn't hold your feelings against you." She took a deep breath. "If...if it's not me...I want you to know that, it might take me a while, but I will still always be your friend."

That statement brought tears to my eyes. I didn't know why; I'm usually a lot harder to break. I wiped them away. "Thank you," I said. Then I turned to Robin.

Before I could speak, he said, "No matter which it chooses." I nodded in thanks, and returned to my place. I was so blessed to have two such brave and caring and strong people that loved me.

But which one was I destined for?

"Are you ready?" asked Mother Superior.

I took a deep breath. "Yes."

She nodded, and turned to Tinkerbell. Tinkerbell reached into her pouch and pulled out a small vial of glowing green dust. As soon as she opened it, however, the dust seemed to quadruple in volume, taking up most of the Celine space above my head. It swirled and moved like a living creature made purely of magic. It was so beautiful.

Then the dust approached me first. It encircled me, surrounded me curiously. As I looked into the swirling patterns, I could see moments of my life with everyone I loved. I saw my father teaching me to ride a horse; I saw Daniel telling me stories under the apple tree; I saw myself holding Henry for the first time; I saw my mother telling me I could have been enough; I saw Robin picking me up and swinging me around in my vault; I saw Emma standing, drenched, in the rain. I was overwhelmed with the feeling of love and devotion, and a single tear fell from my fave, and through the dust.

Suddenly, as if it had picked up a scent, it turned swiftly away from me and rushed to where Emma and Robin were standing. It hovered over both of their heads, undecided. The tension in the room was tangible as we waited to see who it would choose.

Finally, it dove, swirling and circling and weaving around my one true love, rustling her clothes and combing through her long blonde hair.

"Emma," I breathed, beaming. She beamed back with pure joy. The dust collected around her, making every inch of her glow. Beautiful didn't begin to describe what I was looking at.

Suddenly her face changed; it morphed from an expression of joy into one of confusion, then horror. "Regina! Behind you!" She yelled frantically. I spun around in time to see Killian sprinting towards me, hook raised and face enraged. Time seemed to move in slow motion. He was too close; I couldn't defend myself. Instinctively I raised my hands to protect my face.

Then I saw a cascade of yellow curls in front of my face, between me and my attacker. Neither one of us saw it coming, and neither of us registered what had happened until Killian's long, silver hook imbedded itself in the pale shoulder. Emma screamed.