Epilogue

"There's not much left, I promise," the seamstress and dresser, Joanna, assured me.

"I hope not," I replied, "because I don't know how much longer I can stand here with you tugging away."

"No need to get snarky," she said under her breath. I chose to ignore her. I wasn't going to let her spoil this day for me.

Suddenly I heard something behind me. There was a brief pause, then I felt the pressure around my waist lessen for just a split second.

"Joanna, what's..."

"Sssh," a new voice shushed. "It's okay, Regina."

"Mary Margaret?"

"I thought you might like a little help from someone you know," she said. I smiled; it was rather nice.

"Are you nervous?" she asked.

I was so nervous. Why should I be? I'd been through this before. The same preparations, the same routine...ish. Being in a different world did lend itself some differences. The lack of a castle, for example. But, still, it was also much the same. Even so, I was still nervous.

I was nervous because today was the day I was going to marry Emma Swan.

"Yeah, a bit."

"I know the feeling," she said.

"You?" I scoffed. "You, Snow White, were nervous about marrying Prince Charming?"

"Done!" She finished tying the last of the ribbons on my back. "Now let me look at you." I turned around so she could see my face. "Absolutely beautiful. But...oh!" She exclaimed.

"What is it?"

"Your hair got a little messed up," she remarked. "Here. Sit down so I can fix it."

I obeyed, carefully stepping down from the platform where I had been standing and sat down in the chair in front of the full length mirror.

"To answer your question," she continued, "I was very nervous at my wedding. Yes, it was supposed to be my happily ever after, but there's always the thought of what if something goes wrong?" She chuckled. "In my case, however, that feeling was very appropriate."

I smiled. I'm glad she could joke now about me crashing her wedding and threatening her entire kingdom.

"The point is, it's natural to feel nervous, even if you're not exactly sure what it is that's making you nervous. It's your wedding day. Just don't let it spoil your day, okay?"

"Okay." By then she had finished doing my hair, so I stood. My black hair was put up in some kind of intricate up-do that I couldn't begin to comprehend, and contrasted with my off-white dress. Around my neck I wore a simple diamond necklace; about the only simple thing my mother owned before she died.

My makeup was simple and elegant, with my customary red lips and subtle blush. However, my mascara was threatened by the tears welling up in my eyes. I turned and took her hands.

"Thank you, Mary Margaret."

"Oh, no problem. It's only hair."

"No, I mean...thank you for believing in me. Despite everything that I've done to you, to your people, to your family, you never gave up on me for a moment." My voice began to crack. "You became my stepdaughter by force, my friend by your efforts. And now, with your blessing, I will become your daughter."

She chuckled. "We've come full circle, haven't we?" We laughed at that for a bit.

"Indeed." Then I became serious. "I'm so happy that we can finally truly become a family. I think...I think we were always meant to be."