Chapter 14

I didn't worry too much about the article itself. I was much more concerned with whoever stole my files and ruined Emma's reputation. Besides, I figured that no one actually read the gossip column, anyways.

I was wrong.

I noticed the first stares at Granny's during lunch. Some glared maliciously; some simply stared at me with curiosity; most of them, however, seemed to be more sympathetic than anything else. It felt eerie, all of those people looking at me. Throughout the entire meal I could feel their gaze on me.

After that it seemed like everywhere I went, people's eyes followed me. I hated it; I felt like an animal in a zoo. In order to avoid them, I stayed in my office all day. However, I couldn't avoid the problem forever.

I was almost ready to put everything away and head home when I heard the door open. I looked up; it was Robin, and he wasn't happy.

"What the hell is this, Regina?!?" He demanded, throwing the paper on the table with the picture of me and Emma facing up.

"I...I..." I couldn't speak. Exactly what was I supposed to say?

"You've been lying to me for two weeks? Sneaking off with her?" He picked up the article again, scanned it quickly then threw it back on the desk. "It says this was taken on Thursday. I thought that you were backed up on work." He looked at me, hurt and betrayed, and my heart broke. This is exactly what I was afraid of. I finally realized that I should have told him; I should have told him everything before he found out for himself.

"And do you know what the worst part is?" he asked, tears in his eyes. "I didn't even find out from you. I had to hear about this from a random woman at the gas station, who told me how sorry she was for my situation. I told her that I had no idea what she was talking about, so she showed me this! Why was I the last to know? Regina, what is going on?" He stood shaking, looking down at me and waiting for my response.

By now I was crying; salty tears fell down my cheek and splashed onto the ground. "I...I don't know," I whispered, lowering my head in shame. "It just kind of...happened."

"I thought you loved me."

"I do!" I exclaimed, jumping up out of my seat. I ran to him and gripped his arms, trying to get him to look me in the eyes. "I do love you, Robin!"

Finally he looked up at me. "And what about Emma?"

"I...I don't know."

He dropped his head again, backing away so that my arms fell to my sides. "That's what I was afraid of." He sighed. "Whenever you figure out what the hell is going on between you two, let me know. Until then, I'm going to take Roland to spend some nights with the Merry Men." With that he turned away from me and started walking slowly out the door, head and shoulders dropped.

"Robin..." I pleaded.

He paused in the doorway, a pained look on his face. He still wouldn't look straight at me, focusing his gaze on the wall to the left.

"Goodbye, Regina," he whispered. Then he was gone.