Chapter 11

Two days later, I decided to walk Henry to the bus. Usually Emma did, since he stayed with her most of the time, but about once a week I'd take him to Granny's for breakfast and walk him to the bus. Today his breakfast of choice was a cheese omelette, pancake, bacon, and a hot chocolate with cinnamon. I contented myself with a blueberry bagel with cream cheese and a coffee. We did a lot of talking; well, Henry did. He told me about how he was the only kid in his class who got 100% on his last math test; I was so proud.

After breakfast we went outside to the bus stop, where two other children were waiting. It was a beautiful morning; the clouds  parted around the horizon, allowing the sun just above the horizon turning everything a rich golden color, and the morning dew shone like gems on every leaf and blade of grass.

"You're going to meet me at the office after school, correct?" I confirmed.

"Yep!" he replied. "Can't miss lasagne night!"

I laughed and pulled him into a hug. Then the bus rounded the corner and pulled up the the curb next to us. It made a hissing sound as the yellow doors opened.

"Come on, kids, I don't got all day," the old driver said irritably.

"I gotta go, mom," Henry said.

Even after all of these years, it was still hard to let him go.

Finally, Henry pulled away gently, and I released him. He started walking up the steps in the bus.

"I love you!" I called out to him as he was walking on. I waited, but he had already gone in the bus. I started to get discouraged until I saw one of the windows in the back of the bus open and Henry's head pop out.

"I love you too, Mom!" he shouted as the bus drove away. I smiled; I really did love that little man.

Suddenly, a I heard a deep voice behind me. "Regina!"

I turned around to find the one-handed pirate standing right behind me. He didn't look to good; his clothes were wrinkled, his hair was in a tangled mess, and he was in need of a good shave. There was the not-so-subtle smell of rum surrounding him like a pungent cloud. I felt a stab of guilt in my gut; it was partially my fault that he was so depressed.

"Killian? What are you..."

"I need to talk to you. Now."

"Um, okay." I started to get nervous; after all, I was the one who was sneaking around with his would-be fiancé. His eyes were wild and suspicious, darting in every direction to make sure that no one else could hear.

"Regina," he said, "I think I know why Emma won't marry me."

My anxiety level doubled. Oh my god, he knows, I thought. My palms started to sweat and tremble, and my breathing quickened.

Killian leaned forward, as if telling a dangerous secret.
"I think..." he whispered, "I think there's another man.

Another man. I relaxed; he had no idea what was really going on. It didn't stop me from feeling horrible, though.

He continued, "I know that you've never held me in the highest regard, but I am desperate. Please, help me find the man who has stolen her from me."

I tensed; I was not prepared for this.

"You want me to what?"

"Please, Regina, I can't lose her," he pleaded. "She is...everything to me. I've already lost love once, I think I could do it again."

"I don't know..."

"Regina, you're her best friend; you're the only one to whom she tells everything." He looked on the brink of tears. This couldn't be happening.
"Please," he whispered.

How could I tell him, in this state? And his could I say no?
"I...I'll try."

I saw a single tear roll down his face. He took my hand, gripping it like a lifeline, and kissed it. "Thank you," he said shakily. Then he walked down the alleyway, disappearing around the corner.

I walked over to the office, face completely expressionless. It wasn't until I closed the office door behind me that I sunk into the couch and cried.