Chapter 18

David found Spencer, along with my file, in his office. Turns out he had been leaking information to the gossip columnist by email, sending scans of my files so they wouldn't be able to track him. Smart. If it hadn't been for Henry, we might have never caught him.

Mary Margaret had asked me if I wanted to talk to him, but I politely declined; no doubt he'd be doing plenty of talking with David. Besides, there were still some things that I needed to figure out on my own.

So now I was back in my empty house...again. I felt a little better, knowing that Emma wouldn't be attacked by that homophobic bastard again. But, there was still that question; what was I going to do about my feelings for Emma? What did I want? I spent hours sitting on my chair contemplating, and coming up with nothing.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on my front door. I was confused; I wasn't expecting anyone. Then again, people tended to just arrive at my house unexpectedly.

I approached the door and opened it slowly.

"Robin? What are you..."

"Hello, Regina," he said. "I was hoping we could talk. His hair was unkept, his clothes were wrinkled, and it looked like he hadn't slept in days.

I couldn't speak, so I merely nodded and moved aside. He walked in, immediately heading for the sitting room and sunk into his favorite armchair. I took my accustomed seat and prepared myself; odds were this wasn't going to be pleasant.

I waited. He was rubbing his hands together nervously; he seemed to be searching his mind for the right words.

"I'm sorry."

"What?" This was definitely not what I was expecting. I was expecting yelling, screaming, crying...anything but this.

"I'm sorry that I was so quick to leave," he said a little more loudly. "I should have listened to you, Regina, and I should have let you tell me your side of the story."

"But..." I stammered, "...but I went behind your back..."

"Everyone makes mistakes, Regina," he replied. "And I can forgive you...if you can forgive me." He smiled, trying to relieve the tension.

I shook my head, astonished, and looked down. "After all that I've done, you still want me," I whispered.

I heard him get up out of his chair and kneel in front of my chair. He lifted my chin so that I was looking into his eyes. The softness of his beautiful blue eyes comforted me. In them I could see all of the reasons I fell in love with him: his kindness, his bravery, his compassion...why would I go and ruin that?

He placed his warm hand on my cheek, looking at me even more intensely. "Always," he whispered. Then he leaned forward, gently pulling my face towards his, and kissed me.

It was gentle and loving. All the things I had seen in his eyes I felt in his kiss. As beautiful as the moment was, however, I couldn't help but compare it to my kisses with Emma. Those were loving, too, but also wild and passionate. There was just...more.

I tried to shake off those thoughts. I knew that I was happy with Robin; I loved him, and he loved me with all of his heart. Emma and I could never be together in this way, so I knew it would be best if I simply let it die.