Chapter 15

My tears blurred my vision as I walked as quickly as I could down the sidewalk. Most people were home by now, finishing dinner with their families. Those that were still out and about were drinking or playing pool; I was alone.

The flickering street lamps and starless sky matched my mood perfectly. The wind moaned mournfully through the trees, making the branches creak and snap. The whole town just seemed...sad. Lonely, even. I looked down at the pavement as I walked, watching the salty drops fall from my face and leave a trail behind me. I didn't see where I was going, and ended up running into someone who was also walking home.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said quietly.

"You'd better be," said a deep, slurred voice. I looked up, and the man's dark eyes glared into mine.

Oh, no. I'd run right smack into Killian Jones, and he was drunk.

I took a step back. "Killian, I-"

"You," he spat. "You took her away from me, you snake. I thought I could trust you!" He threw his empty bottle on the ground, shattering it on the pavement. Green shards of glass went flying in every direction, scattering across the road and cutting into my leg. I jumped back, yelping in pain.

"I'm...I'm so sorry," I whispered. It stung where the glass cut me just above my ankle. I felt one small drop of blood slowly firm at the corner of the scratch, and then inch down my ankle. I wanted to wipe it off, but the only movement I could manage was the shaking if my shoulders as I silently sobbed.

He looked at me again. He was suddenly very calm, but that was even more frightening than when he was yelling at me; it wasn't a happy calm; rage still burned in his eyes, but now it was also held some thing else. Something...sinister.

"You will be," he said in a deep, bone-chilling voice. Before I could react, he stepped towards me, pulled my arm towards him with his hook, and grabbed my wrist. No, he didn't grab; he put something on my wrist. Like a bracelet, or a...

No.

I looked down at my wrist and, sure enough, there was the cuff; the one that stopped all of my magic. I finally grasped how dangerous the situation was. Without magic, I was defenseless.

He grabbed my arm forcefully and pulled me closer until I was right up against his body. I could smell the pungent aroma of rum on his breath.

"Why don't we take a little stroll...Madam Mayor." He slurred. Even intoxicated, he was stronger than me, and I felt myself being dragged behind the building, towards the woods.

"Killian!" A familiar voice yelled. I sighed in relief as Emma pulled him away from me and stepped between us. He fell heavily to the ground. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!?"

Killian wiped his face and stood up, looking pleadingly at Emma. "Emma, listen to me. I know I went a little fast, and I've learned from my mistake. I want you to come back home with me," he whimpered. Then his face became harsher, but still begging. "You don't have to do this. You are strong; you can overcome whatever spell the witch has cast on you."

"She hasn't cast any spell, Killian," she insisted. "I love her."

That threw me completely off guard. Emma loved me? Truly loved me? But how did I feel about her? My mind started reeling, and I felt lightheaded.

Killian was staring in horror, his eyes darting between Emma and me. "No...no, it's some trick."

"It's no trick; I love her."

"But what about everything you told me? What about what we had?" he shouted.

Emma sighed. "I wasn't lying. I did...I do love you, and it breaks my heart to see you hurt this way." She turned to look at me. "But my heart was leading me somewhere else."

My heart fluttered, but an overwhelming feeling of guilt quickly followed, like a very heavy blanket.

Emma wrapped her arms around me protectively, still facing the pirate. "I think you need to leave now," she said quietly, but firmly.

Hook opened his mouth as if to say something, but shut it almost immediately, clenching his jaw. He turned, glanced back at me bitterly one more time, then walked away.

We stood there on the sidewalk for a couple of seconds, breathing heavily. Then Emma turned around to face me. "Are you alright?" she asked. She was wearing her classic sheriff's outfit: black jeans, solid t-shirt, and her favorite red leather jacket. Tonight she also wore a blue knitted beanie.

"I'm fine," I snapped.

She nodded. "Why didn't you use your magic to defend yourself? You could have just poofed out of there at any time."

I lifted my arm and showed her my wrist.

"Oh." Gently, she took my hand and removed the cuff.

"Thanks," I said gruffly.

"You're welcome." There was an awkward pause. "Let's get you home," she said, putting her arm around my back to lead me away.

I stepped away and shook my head. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not? You need to get home, and Killian might not give up just yet."

"Emma..." my heart broke at the thought of hurting her, but I had to say it. "This can't happen. You, me...is." I sighed. "I can't do this. I can't do this to Robin, to Roland, to your parents, or to Killian. I don't know exactly what this is, but it's hurting people, people we love, and I can't." I started crying, tears falling down my face in streams. "I'm should have stopped it before it got this far. I'm..." My voice cracked. "I'm so sorry," I whispered.

Emma wasn't moving. She wasn't yelling it stirring away like I thought she would be. She was simply standing, her head lowered. It took me a couple of moments before I saw her shoulders shaking with sobs. "Regina..." she whispered, her head still bowed.

I couldn't bear it; I had to get away. The last thing I saw was Emma's emerald eyes shine with tears peek out under her long hair before the purple cloud of magic enveloped me.