Chapter 21

"Emma!" I shouted in horror. "What have you done???"

David rushed over to us and pulled Killian away from Emma, removing the hook from her shoulder with quiet sickening sucking sound. She grunted in pain.

"What do you think you're doing?" yelled David, grabbing Killian by the collar.

"I...I was aiming for the witch..." Killian said. His face was beyond horrified. It was as if he had just sentenced someone to their death.

"Well, you missed. Happy now????"

"Killian," Emma said softly, clutching her shoulder. "She's not...a...witch," her words began to come slower, her voice weak.

"Emma, are you alright?" I asked.

"I just...feel a little...dizzy." Then she collapsed in a heap on the ground.

"Emma!" We all rushed to her side except Killian, who was frozen in a state of shock.

"Is she breathing?"

"Yes, but she's unconcious."

"Check her heart!"

"Lift her feet!"

"No, her head!"

"What happened?"

"Shut up!" I yelled. Everyone became silent. "Back away from her or else you might suffocate her to death." They obeyed, looking at me with worried expressions. I was trying my very best to be calm; I wanted to be there just like the rest of them: by her side, worrying over her. But I knew that wouldn't help her. "Let's figure out what's going on here before we take any drastic measures." I waved my hand over her body, hoping to find that she had merely fainted. After a few seconds my hopes increased. Maybe she had, after all. Suddenly, I felt something; a very dark force. I could feel it spreading through her veins, creeping through her body ever-so slowly. It seemed to be centered around her shoulder.

Exactly where the hook had pierced her flesh.

"What have you done, pirate?" I asked in a low, menacing voice.

"I...I didn't mean..." he whimpered.

"What do you mean, Regina?" asked Mary Margaret.

"Emma has been cursed." I replied. I grit my teeth together. "And it came from that hook," I said pointing. "Now, I won't ask you again; what did you do to her?"

He hung his head. "The...The Vampire Curse."

"No," I breathed, trying to keep my balance. This is far worse than I could have ever dreamed.

"The Vampire Curse?" David yelled. "You turned our daughter into a vampire?"

"No," I said. "It's far worse."

"How could it be worse?" Mary Margaret was panicking.

"The Vampire Curse is as bad is they come," I explained. "It literally sucks the life out of the victim, until they are nothing but a dry husk. It's incredibly slow and painful, and they remain alive throughout the entire thing." I took a deep, shaggy breath. "Then it destroys their soul, ripping it apart piece by piece until there is nothing left of them. Only then do they die."

"But there must be some way to stop it!" David shouted desperately.

"I'm afraid there's nothing I can do," I said mournfully. "It's already in her bloodstream. Soon it will take over her entire body." Then my emotions began to shift from heartbreak to fury.

"You," I growled, turning to Killian. "You did this. You...you MONSTER!" I lunged at him, my nails outstretched like claws. Killian came to just enough to dodge my attack. I was going to lunge for his scrawny neck again, but David grabbed me by my arms and held me back.

"Regina! This is not going to help Emma," he said in his commanding voice.

Even as I struggled, I knew he was right, and I burst into tears. Robin walked over and wrapped his arms around me. I cried into his chest bitterly. This wasn't supposed to happen. Why? Why would this happen as soon as it looked like everything was going to be alright? And why would it happen to Emma of all people? She didn't deserve any of this. If anyone were to die, it should have been me.

"Regina..." Mary Margaret said in a low voice. "There might still be a way."

"Well," I spoke harshly through my tears, "I'm sure we'd all love to hear one of your pointless hope speeches now that your daughter is dying."

Her face fell for a moment. I felt horrible; that was a very low blow. But she brushed it off and continued.

"Every curse can be broken," she said, "with true love's kiss."

I paused. That was true; a kiss of true love would bring her back to life. But...could it work?

"Are you suggesting...?"

"Kiss her, Regina!" she suddenly shouted. That surprised me; Mary Margaret never shouted.

David stepped forward and put a calming hand on her shoulder. "Please," he said.

I turned around to look at Robin. His eyes were full of tears, but his face was comforting and determined. "It's okay, Regina," he whispered.

I nodded, and looked at Emma. Already her skin was deathly pale, and her hair lacked all its previous luster. She looked like death itself. I knelt down next to her and brushed brittle strands of hair out of her face. Just before my face touched hers I paused. What if...what if it didn't work? I know what she told Killian, but this whole thing only started less than a month ago. What if she was wrong?

But what if it works?

Even as I doubted, though, I knew I had to try; her life depended on it. I closed the distance, gently kissing her beautiful, pale lips.

Immediately I felt a wave of energy erupt from her body, which pushed me away just enough for our lips to separate. I opened my eyes and watched as her face and hair flooded with color. Her eyes fluttered open. Confused, she looked her around until her eyes met mine. She smiled.

"I knew it," she whispered.

I was crying again, but this time they were tears of pure joy. They flowed freely down my face and landed in her perfect golden hair. But neither of us cared about that.

"You're an idiot, you know that?"

"I know." She laughed.

"I thought...I almost lost you," I said through my tears.

She smiled at me. "Well, thanks to you, you didn't." She placed her beautiful hand on my cheek. I closed my eyes and leaned into her touch. It was warm and soft. Then I opened my eyes, and said what had needed to be said for a very long time.

"I love you," I whispered.

Her smile brightened. "I love you too." Then she moved her hand from my cheek to the back of my head and leaned her face up, pulling mine closer, and kissed me. It started out sweet, but quickly filled with all of the love and passion that I had been holding back for so long, and she followed suit.

After a few moments I could hear David grumbling behind me, and Mary Margaret shushing him. I paid them no mind; now that she was here, I was never going to let Emma go. As I pulled away from her and gazed at her in the orange glow of the setting sun with this beautiful woman, I came to realize two things.

One: Emma was the most perfect person ever created; a goddess in all aspects.

Two: She was mine.

And I smiled.

-----

That's it, guys! Nothing left after this but the Epilogue!

I'll write to you more after the epilogue, but I just wanted to  Thank you so much for going on this journey with me and supporting me through your comments! You guys are the best!