Chapter Two

Girls, to young yet to be women, stand in a long line at the security office. All of us, dressed in our best. Hair is pulled up into tight buns, or down in flowing curls. My own dark hair water falls down my back, a small section over my shoulder.

      The line moves slowly, seemingly only an inch every hour, but before I know it, I reach the front of the line. A security officer pulls me roughly through the door, sure to leave a bruise. "Name, age, housing unit, and sector."

      "Adelaide Nash, 18, 115, Grey." One of the officers stifles a laugh and holds a camera.

      "Sit still please." I sit in the chair, facing the camera, and the guard snaps a picture. The flash temporarily blinds me. "Wait in the court yard. You will be given an answer shortly. Peace be with you." I don't repeat the statement and am lead to a big open space where the girls sit. Officers approach them, escorting them out of the yard.

       Taking a seat on the silver bench, another girl approaches me. "I'm Greta," she says.

       "Adelaide." I pause before turning back to her. "Do you know what we're doing here?"

       "It's courting season, and the princess of Amble refuses to marry the prince. They're picking five girls from each sector to go to the kingdom. The prince will choose a girl over the course of a couple of months, then he'll get married."

        I heave a sigh of relief, knowing I won't be chosen. "You seem happy about this."

        "I am. The families chosen will receive a gallow, my family needs that. I have six brothers and sisters."

        "A gallow?" My mouth hangs open once again. "That's at least four months wages." Greta nods and an officer approaches us.

        "Adelaide Nash? Greta Signs?" We nod. The officer hands us white papers and says, "Report back here with one luggage case. Arrive at eleven. Peace be with you." He walks away with not even a backwards glance.

      "We got in?" Greta asks. I look over the paper and nod. "I've got to tell my mother. I'll meet you here at eleven Adelaide." She gets up and runs, her footsteps cracking on the sticks on the ground. Faces of girls sneer as I walk by, the white paper still in hand. I fold it, and place it in my dress pocket.

      When I arrive back, I see my mother biting her finger nails, an old habit that died with my father. Mother perks up when she sees me. "What happened?" she asks.

     "I'm leaving," I say. "Going to the palace. Apparently the princess of Amble doesn't want to marry the prince, so the king is bringing in five girls from each sector. I was picked, and I have to go. The only good thing is that, you'll receive one gallow. Maybe even more, I don't know."

       "Will you come back?"

       "I don't know." The fear in my voice makes me sick. Fear is not something I'm accustomed to. "What if you got a job in the palace?" The suggestion is absurd, but her eyes brighten at the idea.

       "Mother, please don't get your hopes up, I'll send you whatever money I can, maybe you won't have to work at all." She nods and stands. "Will you help me pack my bag?" She nods again, not able to find words. We walk up the steps to my room. Mother pulls the luggage case from my bed, and opens it.

       "Will you pack your dress for me dear?" she asks. I nod and pull in a deep breath. When the luggage case is nearly full, she pulls something from on top of my wardrobe, and places it inside. "Open this when you get there, not a moment sooner."

        "I'm taking Jerry with me. I can't leave him."

        "Carry him in your pocket, then get a cage at the palace." She hands me another outfit, one I didn't know existed. "Wear this tomorrow, please?" It's my turn to nod. "I love you darling, remember that always my dear."

       "I won't forget it mother. But I'm not leaving tomorrow."

       "I won't see you, I have to leave for the Red sector to clean the Agnol house." We hold to each other tight, her chin resting on my head. "You were always so short, I never understood it. Your father and I are tall, no sense in it." She laughs through her sniffles. 

       She hums the gentle tune my father once sang. I smile at the fond memory of him. "I thought you forgot about that."

       "I can't do that when you sing it or hum it at every turn. And your father wrote that song for me, I won't forget, not even when I'm a beggar cast to the streets." I lightly slap her arm.

       "I won't let that happen to you mother."

       "You best not child, I'm holding you to this agreement." I laugh and we sit on my bed. Mother begins braiding my hair, leaving it over one shoulder. "Don't ever cut your hair, not for anyone. Unless you have to trim it. Sleep now child, you have a long day tomorrow." 

       Mother rises from my bed, and shuts the light off. "Do you have anything for Jerry?" I ask.

       "He's already in his cage, little bugger bit me when I tried to remove him." I smile, and in the darkness, I hear Jerry scuffle around his cage. My door shuts and I turn toward Jerry's cage.

       "I'm sorry you were stuck in a cage all day, soon enough, so will I." Talking to a mouse makes me sound a mad woman, but no one is there to hear, so I continue. "Jerry, you'll have the best food in the world in a few days time, just you wait. Good night Jerry."

       In return, him shuffles around his cage. My eyes close and I drift into another dreamless sleep, once again afraid of what awaits tomorrow. I can only hope it's not scary