Chapter Sixteen

Mary and I had decided that it would be a good idea if the kids slept in my room.

    I knew where the hideout was and how to get in, so if something happened, I could easily get us to safety.

    "I love you both, be good." Mary planted kisses on her children's forheads and left the room.

     After tucking the kids in my bed, I get the cot ready and lay down. Just as I get comfortable, a knock comes from the door.

     Too lazy and tired to get up I say, "Come in."

     The door opens and Caleb walks in. "Hi sorry, I just wanted to check on you one last time."

      "It's fine, I'm doing okay. They are too, maybe just a tad shaken up. Nothing too bad."

      "Good, good. I'm gonna go back to bed, see you in the morning." Caleb walks out of the room and shuts the door behind him.

      After I wake up in the morning, Mary helps me get ready by putting me in this beautiful dress.

      Its got a black bodice with pink and black tulle to form a skirt. She pairs it with some black shoes and we walk down to the dining hall.

      Not everyone has arrived yet, and most don't show up. We eat our breakfast, and depart to our afternoon activities.

      For me, it's dancing lessons. "Again!" The instructor yells. I count in my head and try not to look at my feet.

      "This is the easiest dance you will ever learn. Again!" This continues for another hour, and then I'm free.

      "Hi," Caleb says in the hallway. "You okay?"

      "I'm light on my feet, I should be able to dance."

      "What?"

      "I can't dance, it's impossible." He chuckles and walks with me.

      "Don't over think it. Just listen to the music, feel it in your bones." I nod and he plants a kiss on my cheek.

       "See you."

       "See you at lunch." I open my bedroom door and see a couple dresses laid out on the bed.

       "What's going on?" I ask.

       "There's gonna be a capital announcement tonight. Everyone in the palace is to attend."

       "Which one am I wearing?" I ask.

       "Which ever one you want." I look over the dresses. They're all different colors and different types.

        "Help me," I say. We go through the pros and cons of each dress and decided on a red one.

        It goes from a deep red to a bright red, with one shoulder and a train. "I'll get you some accessories and we'll be good to go."

        "What time is this happening?"

       "Right before dinner. So eat a big lunch." I nod and Mary hangs up the dress in my wardrobe.

        "Thank you," I say as she leaves the room. Flopping down on my bed, I groan and cover my eyes with my arms. Time to bathe and get ready for lunch.

      After taking a bubble bath, and relieving my aching feet, I pull on the  dress I was wearing before dance and some flat shoes.

     The dining room is particularly empty like this morning, so we eat lunch with whoever showed up. Which consisted of me, Caleb, five girls, and Queen Penelope.

     "You have free time until four, then everyone meets in the Announcement Hall for some news," Queen Penelope says. "You're free to go."

     Everyone leaves, including Caleb, and it's just me. Not having much to do, I start to gather plates and cups to take to the kitchen.

     "You don't have to do that Lady Adelaide," one of the house maids, Gloria, says.

     "Yes I do. I haven't done any cleaning in a while. Now lead the way." She shakes her head and smiles before leading me to the kitchen.

     "If you're gonna help, you'll need one of these to keep you clean." Gloria pushes an apron over my head and pulls my hair up. "Now your hair stays clean too."

      I tie the apron and follow Gloria, and the other house maids, to the kitchen with dishes. Once the dining hall is cleaned up and the dishes are washed, I walk up to my room.

      It had taken an hour to clean, which meant I had two left. And that was going to be spent on getting me ready.

     Mary is waiting for me, Evangeline sitting on my bed too, when I enter my room. "Where's Evan?"

     "Helping. Time to get you ready. Ready Evie?" She nods and her blonde hair bounces up and down. Mary makes me put on a robe so I don't get dirty from the falling powders.

      Mary does my makeup, while Evangeline paints my finger nails a dark shade of red. "Almost done," Mary says.

      "Me too," Evangeline sings. They finish making me up and I look in the mirror. I have dark, smoky eyes and a rose red lip stick. My cheeks are pinched to give me a blush and my nails are maroon in color.

      "I look great. Thank you guys." Evangeline gives me a hug and Mary starts on my hair.

     "Down or up?" She asks.

     "Down." Mary nods and starts to curl my hair. It takes an hour because my hair is so thick, but it gets done.

     "Let's get you in that dress and down to the Announcement Hall before we both lose our heads."

      The dress fits well, fitted at the bodice and waist, then flaring out. "Fifteen minutes," Evangeline says.

      "Time to run dear." Mary grabs my shoes and helps me gather my dress into my arms so I can run. "Be careful on the staires, we dont want you to trip and fall. Again."

      "It happened one time, and I didn't fall, I slipped." She waves her hand at me and we begin to make our way down the grand staircase.

       We have eight minutes before they start when we walk arrive at the Announcement Hall. "Take a minute to compose yourself, can't have you flustered and out of breath."

       "Thank you." I give her a hug and she hands me my shoes. "Thanks Evie." I give her a kiss on the forehead and walk into the Announcement Hall.