My Dying Wish (TenxRose)

Quick Author's Note!

(I'm going to be editing this fic, just a heads up!)

I just want to say right away that I do not take any credit for the characters used in Doctor who and in this story. All characters, besides those of my making, belong solely to BBC.

I have always wanted to write a fan fic and once I started watching Doctor Who it gave me the inspiration. So I hope I can get this story as accurate and as accurate of the Doctor Who logic/characters I can. Please, enjoy the story!

Also, side font means Rose is thinking/remembering something.

------------------

It was another night of fish and chips, Rose thought as she lounged on her uncomfortable, cheap sofa. It was fine for now, as they were just starting off from scratch. The Doctor - John, she meant - was still at work but would be on his way home shortly. It was difficult getting used to calling him John because he was entirely like The Doctor, personality, looks, and everything. Except he wasn't The Doctor, he was only part Time Lord and he certainly did not have a blue box. No matter, Rose still loved him immensely.

After what seemed ages, John was still not home. Only an hour had passed but the make shift dinner she had ordered earlier was growing cold.

"Where is he?" Rose muttered to herself. She slowly rose out of the hardly cushioned sofa and walked to the phone that was mounted to the wall of hers and John's flat. She dialed in the extremely familiar phone number of John's and waited for an answer, impatiently waiting for him to pick up after each ring.

"You've reached the phone of John Smith. Sorry I couldn't answer right now but leave a message and - Rose quiet - um, right, I will try to get back to you as soon as possible!" As she heard the dreaded voice mail message play out, Rose was able to recall the memory, remembering the smiles and laughter they had shared in that moment.

"What has he gotten into?" Rose asked herself, biting her lip in worry but figured he should be fine. John could handle himself. Rose figured she might as well eat, she knew he wouldn't want her to grow starving. She sat down on a wooden chair that did not offer any more comfort than the couch and munched on her lukewarm takeaway. The phone started to ring from the other side of the wall, filling the noiseless apartment with sound.

She dashed to pick up the phone and answered with a wave of relief. "Where have you been? I got us fish and chips and its getting cold." Rose would definitely not forget to tease him later for this.

"Rose, sweetie...turn on the telly." Instead of John's warm voice, it was her Mum's voice that answered through the phone. Still on the phone, Rose trudged her way over to the living room and turned on the telly. Panic and worry swarmed her head, consuming all other thoughts. "Go to the news channel 6." Her Mum's voice was full of concern, only encouraging the development of the worse case scenario thoughts playing through her head.

"What's wrong Mum? What happened?" Rose asked, dread and agitation flooded throughout her entire body top to bottom.

"Just watch, love."

Rose flipped to the news channel, BBC. Rose's eyes scanned the screen, 'Live right now, severe accident. Undetermined cause. Possibly drunk driving but fatal blow to the other car. We are taking out the driver which seems to be a tall skinny man. He will be transported to the local hospital.' Rose shuts off the telly. "No, Mum it can't be." Her voice was in a horrified whisper as she spoke, before the phone dropped from her grip and she felt like crumbling to the floor beneath her feet.

Rose was unable to hear the apology from her Mum that would do nothing to help, as she swallowed hard, wetting her dry mouth, and hastily grabbed her jacket and rushed out the door.

**

Rose woke up in a panic. She was covered in a cold sweat, with her chest heaving up in down and tears collected in the corners of her eyes. Why another nightmare? Her eyes drifted over to the empty spot next to her in what used to be both hers and John's bed. Oh wait, its reality. She instantly ached with loneliness. Rose looked over to her white alarm clock, the one she had since she was 19. 6:49 AM It was getting lighter outside and her work would be in an hour and 10. Might as well get up. Rose gazed out her window, Jack Frost had paid a visit and definitely left his mark. The streets and nearly just about everything was powdered with snow. All of London seemed to be covered in a blanket of snow. In just a couple weeks it would be Christmas, which seemed to be when alien activity peaked. But, if any aliens decided to pay a visit, Torchwood would handle it. No longer could Earth call out for The Doctor's help, that would be impossible. Rose forced herself to stop thinking about The Doctor and distracted herself by getting ready for work.

Rose had worked for Torchwood ever since she had been left here in the alternate universe with the Captain himself. Captain Jack Harkness had become like a brother to Rose, especially after John's tragic death. Rose finished styling her blonde hair and dressing for the day, which consisted of dark jeans with a white long sleeve top and the leather jacket The Doctor used to wear when they had first met. She had managed to sneak it off the TARDIS after one of their many thrilling and life threatening adventures.

Rose inched her way into the kitchen and grabbed herself a cup of tea using John's favorite mug. Why does it still hurt so much? Why can't I get over it? She seemed to be asking herself these questions daily, thinking of the day she was left on the beach before John and, of course, the day John died. Rose quietly sipped her tea, staring vacantly at the table, before she had to leave to get to the train station. Rose refused to buy any car because of what happened with John. A traumatic car crash. Rose had lost the one thing she absolutely loved in a matter of hours and she could not have stopped it. "Its time to stop constantly thinking of the negative and start thinking positive. It's a new day and don't let your own issues get in the way." Rose silently criticized herself.

The scenery outside the train blurred away and shortly Rose arrived at the Torchwood Tower. She entered the skyscraper and made her way to her office without having to talk to anyone. Rose plopped herself into her comfy chair. Her office was stale and needed a re-do but she was too busy with work to find time for that.

The door swung open without warning, "Rosie! Good Morning! You look lovely today. I like the jacket, one of a kind!" Jack said with so much enthusiasm that Rose couldn't help but smile. "Did I see you smile? I mean Rose Tyler, smile?" He teased.

"Oh, shut up. I was doing it for your benefit." She paused, wanting to know why he made the trip from his office to see her so early. "So, something new come in? A new case?"

"Yeah, we got a new one just this morning and I think you'll really be interested in it." Jack answered, putting on his business face, which was just a look of focus and a lack of a ear to ear grin.

"Well, tell me then. Yeah?" Rose replied, scooting forward in her chair to show she was interested in what Jack had to offer.

"It's something totally different." He, said pursing his lips.

"And? We work at Torchwood where everything is different. " Rose reminded him.

"Alright, recently there have been several reports of patients that are hopsitalized around London and are close to death they go into comas but are able to still breath independently and rapidly start becoming healthy. But, even weirder, they never wake from their coma's. It's different than what we've ever have had since I don't think it involves aliens." Jack explained, having crossed his arms during the process.