(6)

Missy

With no car or credit card, this bogus suspension was more dreadful than the others. This gave me no choice but to actually do my work assignments.

"Knock, knock," Ashley waltzed in my room and sat on my bed.

"Hey, Ash."

"You look terrible," she said to me when observing my attire.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Even on my off day, I'm killing shit better than you," I boasted.

"Fairytales you tell," she replied before swinging her hair as if she was the it-girl.

"So, what you brings you by? Don't you have cheer practice on Wednesdays..." I only remembered that because I was once on the team before I got kicked off.

Supposedly, the coach felt that I was detriment to the team. I don't see it.

"Yeah, it was cancelled. Shana 'ol shone ass has food poisoning and gave it to--" I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"Wait. Remind me again why Shana is a shone now..."

"She broke the cheer code, Missy," Ashley spoke as if I knew what the heck the cheer code was.

"Ash, you lost me boo."

"Shana is dating Ben, but with a track record like hers it's probably more than that."

I cackled softly and shook my head. "Well, you can always throw chilli cheese fries on them if it really bothers you so much."

"Haha, very funny."

"I mean--seriously, though. Did you expect Bennett to sit around and wait on you? You've been damn near avoiding him at school."

Ashley sighed. "Well, damn. I thought you were on my side."

"By default, yes. Until you tell me what the hell happened between y'all, I'll just continue to speculate," I told her while moving my math book from my lap.

"Eh, I don't feel like it."

I rolled my eyes and that topic go. "Whatever, Ash."

"Oh, I almost forgot." Ashley handed me a note folded note. "Don told me to give this to you."

I sat on my bed in confusion. "Why, what is it?"

Ash shrugged and sat as if she was anticipating the grand opening. "Don't be petty. Open it fool."

I unfolded the piece of paper and read it aloud. "Check yes, yes or maybe if you'll give me your number."

Ashley laughed out loud and I nearly gagged before crumbling the paper to toss it in the trash.

"That is not funny, Ash. He's been a weirdo lately. You know yesterday, he came here and gave me my work assignments. Then, tired to finesse me for my number. I looked at him like he was crazy."

"Aww, that's sweet. Don has a crush on you."

"Don't make me barf," I said.

Ashley smacked her teeth and smiled. "Missy, let's not act like Donovan Woods is trash. He's fine and charming as hell."

"And arrogant. And annoying," I added.

"Okay, so? All these descriptions pretty much make you guys the same person. Match made in heaven if you ask me."

"No match at all and we're nothing alike. I'm not interested. I've sworn off guys for a while. Kenny left a bitter taste in my mouth."

"Oh, shit. You gay now?" Ashley teased.