(12)

Missy

"I'm thinking that the The Big Freeze theme is going to be epic. What y'all think?"

I stood there nonchalant about whatever plans they had for this year's Winter Formal. I was just here because it was one of my punishments. Great.

"Missy, what you think?" I was caught off-guard when Leah asked me about it. It was random of her to call me out for anything,  let alone for my opinion.

"Eh, doesn't matter." I spoke with a shrug. Shana, the head of the committee wasn't satisfied with my answer by the looks she was giving me.

"You obviously seem to think my idea was lame, so what do you have to say?"

"The Big Freeze theme is shitty. Hell, the Winter Formal has been terrible every year because of the dress code restrictions."

"She's right," a unknown sophomore shared my same sentiments.

"We can't just cancel the Formal."

"Didn't say you had too. Just come up with something less formal and more entertaining. Like maybe a carnival with some games, food, and a few rides since y'all budget is bigger this year. Winter Wonderland type vibes."

The room was then filled with quiet.

"I like it," Leah said aloud with a small grin. "What you think Shana boo?"

Shana simply nodded. "Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I'll go talk to Wheeler about it right now. I guess that's it for our discussion today y'all."

I sighed in relief that I didn't have to be there any longer and grabbed my bag from by the bleachers to leave. This school is the last place that I want to be after hours.

"Hey, Missy!" I turned around to Leah, the reformed thot of Lemont high trying to get my attention. My brows furrowed im suspicion, but I kept quiet until she neared me.

"Um, I know this is out of the blue but I have to ask you something," she said, hesitating to spit it out. I motioned for her to hurry up.

"I don't have all day. Say whatever it is, so I can go already."

"Are you messing around with Don?" she blurted out.

"Um, remind me again why does that concern you at all?" I asked with my hand now placed on my hip.

Leah sighed and rolled her eyes. "Look, I'm just asking because I want to give our relationship another go. And if you're not in the way then I can make my move."

I cackled obnoxiously and shook my head. "Leah, boo...Donovan doesn't want anything to do with you or the child that you claimed was his. Don't even waste your time on that."

"Sounds like you're marking your territory to me, Missy."

"What?! No, it's not even like that."

"Yeah, whatever. You sure are capping for him like he's yours."

"Whatever. Get out of my face and go breastfeed your fatherless baby, please. He at least deserves that," I spat just before strutting away from the retired hoe to leave the gym.

I couldn't believe what she was claiming, like there's no way I could even--eww, I can't even finish the thought because it made no sense at all in my mind. I definitely was going to be calling Ashley about that blasphemy later on.

When I arrived home, it was dead quiet like you would've thought no one was home. However, I did see my dad's car outside.

I strutted to the kitchen and grabbed while looking through the mail that was left on the counter.

"Oh my God. Oh my God!"

I was literally jumping for joy when seeing the Spelman envelope with my name on it. I had been waiting on this moment for as long as I could remember. This is the university where my mom went to...my ultimate dream school.

I took a deep breath before ripping it open to see what my fate was for next year.

"On behalf of the Office of Undergraduate Admission, it is my pleasure to offer you, Melissa Alexander, admission to the Spelman University Class of 2016.

You have every reason to be proud of your accomplishments--"

I stopped right then and there. I did it. I got it the Spelman University. I couldn't believe it. I had to go find my dad.

"Daddy!" I yelled as I roamed around the house to find him. Peeked in his room and no one was in there. Went to the patio outside and he was nowhere to be found. I decide the only place left for him to be was in the office in the basement.

As I started to barge on in the room when hearing his voice, I hesitated when I heard my name in his phone conversation.

"Yeah, I know. Only a few more months until she out of here for college," I heard him say, but couldn't make out anything that the other person said.

"No, it's not even like that. Do you know how damn frustrating is to look at Missy's face some days, especially cause she's her mother's twin. I hate it, I really do. I automatically frown when she comes in a room."

I stood there, still. Taking in every word of what he was saying.

"I am ready for this new baby of mine. That'll give me something to smile about."

I stepped away from the door and turned to walk away. I couldn't believe what I had heard, but it shouldn't have even surprsied me at all. It made sense why he never gives me the time of day anymore.

I wasn't going to be in him or his new family's way either, I figured that I'll leave and go elsewhere so he wouldn't even have to glance at me.

Vote, comment, and whatever else ;)

Was Missy's dad out of line?

Where will she go?