(14)

Missy

"So, what's the real reason you're crashing at your aunt's house?" Ashley asked once we walked into the guest room that I had been sleeping in.

"Tired of the bullshit, I guess," I said, keeping my answer short and sweet.

"Wanna talk about it?"

I gave her a dry look and she got the memo. "My bad, I forget you're such a hard ass sometimes. How did ISS go today?"

"Eh, the usual. Loud snores and silence. I got hella studying done though, so there's that. What happened outside the suspension prison gates?"

Ash shrugged as she spoke. "Nothing major. I had to do a speech in speech arts, a fight broke up just before lunch, and Don was looking for you."

"Who got to fighting?"

"Some freshmen..." I simply nodded and took my books out of bag, disregarding the rest of what she said.

"Missy, did you hear me? I said Donovan was checking for you."

"Mhm, I heard you. Let me see your notes from English today." Ashley's brows arched in confusion about my behavior. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"What's up with you two? He was just smiling about you when I saw him, now you frowning. Do I need to beat his ass?" By now her arms were crossed as if she had an attitude.

"No, he's...perfect," I mumbled.

"Wait, whaaaat?" Ashley started to chuckle and I mentally rolled my eyes in reply. "Missy, bitch! You like him, don't you?"

I shrugged her off. "Something like that." I was beating around the bush.

"Melissa, you just called Don perfect. In all cases, that means you're feeling him. Ooh, chile. This too much tea." Ashley chuckled and handed me her notes from class.

"Does this mean y'all are a thing now?"

"No, we're jus--I honestly don't know," I sighed deeply.

In my mind, I already had it set that I wouldn't be dating or messing around with anybody for the rest of this school year. Then, in comes Donovan sucking me in a day at a time making it hard to resist him.

And the kiss didn't make it any easier to understand.

"Oh, my goodness! Y'all kissed? Oooh, you so fast."

I palmed my face when I realized that I had said that out loud as opposed to just thinking it.

"Sooo, tell me all the details. I need the specifics." By this time, Ashley was tugging at my arm dying to know everything.

"Um, I mean it was brief. So, I can't even tell you too much about it."

Ash smacked teeth and shook her head in disbelief. "I'm going to call bullshit on that, but whatever you say boo."

"Anyway, let's talk about something else like this test on Friday." I quickly changed the subject, trying to deflect from what happened earlier...even though it was all that I could think about right now.

"I don't get it. It's our senior year and they got us busting our asses with these statewide tests and shit."

"Ash, just be happy we don't have to take the FCAT anymore." Ashley nodded in agreeance and pulled out her laptop from her bag.

Just as I started to dissect Ashley's notes, there was a knock at the door. "Come in!" I hollered, glancing up to see my father's wife strolling in the room. My jaw automatically tightened.