(13)

Donovan

"Bro, who are you looking around for?" Will questioned me while we were eating our lunch.

"Uh, nobody."

I lied. I was trying to see where Missy was because I didn't see her trig today and she's not the type to miss class. Hell, despite what she says...she's a big ass nerd.

"You lying. Who you looking for?" Ben asked with a suspicious look. "Leah over there." He pointed and I smacked my teeth.

"Bruh, ain't nobody checking for her...like at all."

Will and Ben glanced at one another before shrugging me off and talking about foolishness.

"Aye, Ash!" I quickly got up from our table and followed behind her when seeing her alone.

"Hey, Don. Sup?"

"Um, where little one at? She not answering my texts or nothing. She good, right?"

Ashley smirked and nodded. "Aside from her blow-up this morning in class. Missy's fine. She probably in ISS, which is why you can't get in contact with her."

"Blow-up...What happened?"

Lately, Missy had been pretty chill so she had to be having a bad day for her to be snapping at people.

"Honestly, I don't even know. I just think something hit a nerve with the discussion about the military. You know people made ignorant comments and shit." I nodded while listening.

"Oh, yeah. She did tell me that her mom served in the military," I reminded myself and Ashley looked at me suspiciously.

"What?" I inquired.

"Nothing. I'm just surprised she actually talks to you about her mom. That's a sensitive topic for her and she doesn't discuss that stuff with just anybody."

I smiled on the inside, knowing that Missy trusted me enough to tell me something so close to her heart. "Wow," was all I said.

"Yeah, wow." Ash put her tray down on the table before pointing her finger in my face. "Oh, you like her!"

I backed away with my hands up as if I surrendered and smirked on the sly. "She aight," I admitted, not trying to give her too much props.

"That's funny. She said the same thing about you." Ashley nodded as if she had already known the deal between us.

"Oh, and tell Bennett to come over here. We need to have a talk." Her face lit up when bringing up my best friend's name.

"Oooh, is that bae again?" I teased her with childish kissing faces.

"Grow up, Donovan." Ashley playfully rolled her eyes at me.

"I'm taller than you though," I continued to joke.

"Aye, Ash wants you." I told Ben as I got back to my designated lunch table. He looked skeptical.

"Chill. By the look on her face, I'm assuming that you have nothing to worry about." Ben took my word for it and sat beside her on the opposite end of the cafeteria.

"Looking for Missy, aren't you?" Will asked with a knowing look.

"Yeah, something like that," I downplayed it because he liked her so much.

"You looking because of the bet or cause you actually like her..." I wasn't sure of how to answer that.

"C'mon, Willy boy. You know it's all about this bread." I casually lied, not trying to admit that I genuinely was starting to care for her.

"Yeah, right."

Thank God the bell for us to go back to class because this underlining tension felt like it was thicker than ever between us in that moment.

I waited for Missy by her car after school.

"Why are you leaning on my car?" I heard her voice coming from behind me and I turned to see that face that I hadn't seen all day.

I frowned when staring in her tired, puffy eyes. "You okay?"

Missy sighed, but simply nodded. "I'm fine."

"Yes, you are fine as hell." Like clock work, a half-hearted smile appeared on her face. Mission almost accomplished.

"Stop it. I don't feel like smiling," she told me while looking away. I pouted with my bottom lip out.

"Why not? Talk to me..." I grabbed Missy's wrist and walked her to the nearest bench. She shrugged it off as we sat down. When her eyes met mine I could tell that she wanted to break down.

"Nah, I'm good. We always talk about me. Let's talk about you for a change," she insisted.

I furrowed my brows. "Uh, what you wanna know little one?"

Missy twisted lips as she went in her thoughts and I smirked at her expression. She was the most gorgeous at times that she didn't try.

"Well, tell me more about your family and stuff. You always the one grilling me."

She was right. In the last month or so, I probably learned more about Missy than I had ever known about Leah in the year that I dated her. Then again, I didn't mind hearing her thoughts, likes or dislikes.

"Um, like I told you I was born and raised in Orlando until middle school started. Then my twin little brothers, Dontae and Donell, or as I call them Tae and Nelly came in the the picture."

"Are they the ones who were making kissing noises in the background when we were on the phone the other day?"

"Yeah, that was them."

"Well, I know where they get their childish behavior from." Missy narrowed her eyes at me with an innocent smirk.

"I am not childish!"

"Lie again."

I cackled at her little one liner. "Whatever, you still like me though. Childish and all." I said, biting down on my bottom lip while gazing down at her. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that she was thinking the same thing that I was.

I found myself inching closer to her lips. "I never did say that I liked you," she mumbled to me. It was as if her mouth was already waiting like a question on me to make a move.

When I finally touched her lips, oddly enough everything goes quiet. My heart even started to beat lazy. My left hand caressed her cheek and guided the motions. Both of her hands rested on my chest and I before I knew it, she was exerting force to move back from me.

The new look in her eyes was now a confused one or maybe even a this was a mistake face. I couldn't read her now and that worried me.

"I'm sorry, Missy. That's my bad," I apologized. For what reason...I'm not even sure.

She didn't say anything, but she stood up and glanced over at me before walking back over to her car. I jogged behind her and got a hold of her hand. "Hey, you okay? Didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I just--"

I didn't want to actually admit what I was feeling, but it's just me and her right now. "I'm feeling you a lot, Missy, and I kind of thought it was mutual thing."

Suddenly, a flush of red appeared on Missy's face she tried to look away. "It's cool." She continued to strut to her car and I stood there like a fool, confused as fuck.

Before she drove off, her window rolled down and she stared me down. "You're right...it is. You know."

When she said that, I stood like a clown with a silly smile on my face. She pretty much acknowledged that she feels the same way.

It's mutual.

Vote, comment, and whatever else ;)

Hmm, will this be the beginning of Donovan and Missy? or was this just a vulnerable moment?